Excursion plans?

BrewTown

Reaction score
Looks like my plans are changing. I've had pick-ups for the last 25 years. I currently have one, and a 5th wheel. Currently my '05 has a blown head-gasket, even though it's studded. Plans were CC 7.3 ZF6. I also have 3 kids, and a Great Dane, and will most likely be getting another (Dane, no more kids) soon.

That being said, hard to fit 5 humans and 2 Great Danes in a crew cab. Enter 7.3 Excursion, and switch to a travel trailer. Done with 6 oh's, and 5R's.

That said, I'm looking for some direction with a mod plan. I have the 230/100 injectors that will go in, and plan to get a Sam Wyse trans, although a ZF6 swap would be killer, wife can't drive it then. Yes, teach her, I know...

1. I have a gen 1 KC38R, assuming the new truck will need up-pipes, sell that and go T-4? Use it? If T-4, I'd lean 364.5 unless a strong argument was made otherwise, like 366 or 467.7. Don't want to downshift every hill for EGT's. Real world comparisons welcome, or thread suggestions. I love low RPM way more than lag and high RPM power hit.

2. Well aware of the spring weakness, and the wandering while towing. I do have experience with a V10 Ex towing about 8K. Any good threads I should read on the fixes? I do have some 2011 F250 rear leaves, I will search on moving the perch 8 inches like the trucks. Also thinking I may make a torque arm style bar for stopping wrap. Has anyone done a panhard? I'll search...

3. Camper, my 5th wheel is 35'. I don't see going smaller. I would assume 35' to 40'. Is "fixing" the springs and suspension make this a non issue to tow? What I've seen, these campers are 8k to 11.5k, which is fine, the length and cross winds or winds pushing from other vehicles is my concern. Anyone with experience?

No issues reading, any good thread suggestions are welcome. Open discussion, call me a moron, whatever. Thanks.

nsfr1206

Reaction score
We have a stock suspension 2wd 2004 6.0 ex. We pulled a long rv with it. If you just chilled out and let the trailer swing it was ok but if you stressed about it it was a pain. We had an anti sway hitch but it didn’t seem to help much, although I guess I probably never pulled it behind ex without it. I did pull the rv with 2011 f250 and 2002 f350 without anti sway and it pulled well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrewTown

Reaction score
Just for clarification, my KC is not the one with the SXE style wheels. It's the original 66mm one. It has the 1.0 housing too.

fastersteve

Reaction score
I swapped F-350 springs into my Ex. Tows much better and even rides better unloaded, much less wallowing.
I put standard coils up front, IIRC there's the standard or heavy duty. the heavy duty are too much, the standards have 1 less coil but the same ride height.
For the rears I pit in F codes, raised the ride height 1 inch. It sits level with my loaded race car trailer attached. Tows SOOOO much better.

fastersteve

Reaction score
I'll add that you could probably remove the stock overload spring from the F codes and be very close to stock height. I don't think I've even come close to needing the overload.

BrewTown

Reaction score
I'll add that you could probably remove the stock overload spring from the F codes and be very close to stock height. I don't think I've even come close to needing the overload.

Thanks for the info. I will be getting a 4x, I plow 3 properties. So, unless I did a 05+ axle swap, will be front leafs. Not out of the question, but not a short term goal.
Also I do have 2011 F250 rear springs that I think I plan on using, as the length helps the ride. Not sure how ride height will be effected, however that can always be tweaked. Looks like the front perches can just be relocated like the trucks. Some sort of traction bars, torque arm or CalTracs will be used. Still need to search on panhard, like we have the Trac Bar up front. Not sure if there's even room.

I did some searching on turbos, didn't find great comparisons. Thread suggestions welcome. Good 30% nozzle info, I have 100% though. A good 80% comparison would be close enough. I am thinking the 366 may be a better fit than the 364.6 though. Still like daily and towing results though.

Latest posts

Members online