Post ZF6 swap

jme2152

Reaction score
First off I want to apologize in advance, this thread might be a little bit everywhere so I posted it in general to avoid multiple conversations on the same broad topic.

So I got my truck back after 7 months under the knife of a ZF6 swap. No it wasn't the shops doing or fault but they had actually helped me out ALOT when, like a idiot I trusted a shade tree mechanic for it. they drove 6 hours to pick it up and billed me on the extremely low side. what took so long was that they ended up having to piece it all together avoiding new/full price parts when the only thing they had to start was the ZF6 and a beat to S^&T Clutch along with my husk of a truck. so long story short got the truck back last week(100% sound minus said below) and just need some advice/help on wrapping up a couple things.

1) Reverse lights, I am about to order the Switch and connector for the trans. I just need a diagram or input on where the relay is?

2) Sound proofing, what works well to put in the boots(other then getting them 100% flush) to help quiet the noise? also has anybody done anything to the firewall to seal that up some more?

3) the hard one, Cruise control. according to the one sticky with electrical PDFs it doesn't seem to run or deal with the empty harness without the auto. and everything is connected in the steering wheel(replaced the clock spring myself). is there any diagnostics for trouble shooting info for the Cruise control?

well any advice is appreciated. ill try to fill any questions or gaps the best I can but since the swap was mostly completed in MI and I live in Erie Pa for the time being I wasn't there for it all. thanks again guys.
8c015d8a43c10d0d71b1a6c7e58bfc52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

co04cobra

Reaction score
Swap to manual PCM to fix cruise. At least that's the easiest way I've found.

Downfall of that is, you will then need to run a wire to bypass that PCM looking for a clutch safety switch.

There are 10 other ways to do it, but that's what I've found to be fast and clean.

jme2152

Reaction score

Downfall of that is, you will then need to run a wire to bypass that PCM looking for a clutch safety switch.

There are 10 other ways to do it, but that's what I've found to be fast and clean.

It has a manual pcm. Just not sure how to get it to work

jme2152

Reaction score
Also the clutch safety isn't hooked up. Well we tried but it didn't seem to work. It's. It the biggest deal but if it needs to work for the CC to work then it will be

psduser1

Reaction score

It has a manual pcm. Just not sure how to get it to work

You'll still need the clutch interlock switch with a manual pcm for the cruise to work. Or as suggested, a bypass wire.

jme2152

Reaction score
You'll still need the clutch interlock switch with a manual pcm for the cruise to work. Or as suggested, a bypass wire.

I'm fine with a bypass, just not sure where to run it.

psduser1

Reaction score
Should be four wires to the clutch switch, two are for the start circuit-good to have connected-and two are for the cruise circuit. I cant remember the colors or positions off the top of my head, tho. A bit of google should clear that up, or a ford wiring schematic.

jme2152

Reaction score
So the CSS is needed for the cruise to work? I'm not against having not function just at the time wasn't the biggest priority to get it running.

jme2152

Reaction score
Guess I'll try and find the schematic. I had one from the org but it doesn't really show much to go off of

ford_trck

Reaction score
To bypass the clutch switch you have to run 2 jumper wires. One for the clutch engaged side and one for the clutch disengaged side. If you just jump the wires together it will work. I just used a couple spade connectors and trimmed them down so they would fit in the connector. If I remember right, you just jump the two wires on 1 end and jump the other two also.

jme2152

Reaction score
To bypass the clutch switch you have to run 2 jumper wires. One for the clutch engaged side and one for the clutch disengaged side. If you just jump the wires together it will work. I just used a couple spade connectors and trimmed them down so they would fit in the connector. If I remember right, you just jump the two wires on 1 end and jump the other two also.

Do you remember what colors they were? Where there located?

Did that fix the CC?

Thanks by the way

ford_trck

Reaction score
They changed the color of the wires three or four times. It is a straight 6 wire connector I think and only 4 are used in diesels. I kept breaking my clutch switch after I cut the end off and started using a heim joint to get rid of the slop of the plastic bushing.
Here is a picture of the connector. If you had an automatic then it has another harness or a plug in it, I can't remember. If I remember right I jumped the front two wires together and the back to wires together. If you jump the wrongs ones there is nothing to worry about no magic smoke will be released.
lock-switch-problems-20141219_164349_1419091289527.jpg

jme2152

Reaction score
That's down in the pedal area correct? Okay I'll take a look today and see what I can find. I'll let you guys know asap
Thanks!

jme2152

Reaction score
f581484cf96bd3394291abb4d0a15344.jpg

So I found this but it was plugged in to something. I'll post a video with some operation

jme2152

Reaction score
It won't let me post the video but it plugged into a piece on the clutch shaft. Seemed to be held by a spring tension or something. But I tried unplugging it and the truck fired up with no problem

jme2152

Reaction score
They changed the color of the wires three or four times. It is a straight 6 wire connector I think and only 4 are used in diesels. I kept breaking my clutch switch after I cut the end off and started using a heim joint to get rid of the slop of the plastic bushing.
Here is a picture of the connector. If you had an automatic then it has another harness or a plug in it, I can't remember. If I remember right I jumped the front two wires together and the back to wires together. If you jump the wrongs ones there is nothing to worry about no magic smoke will be released.
lock-switch-problems-20141219_164349_1419091289527.jpg

Plugged into that
9c51771fca41b71d8af58f3ed373bab7.jpg

jme2152

Reaction score
It's also apparent that that plug is tied into the door sensors

Latest posts

Members online