Stripped splines in torque converter

jwfrauts

Reaction score
Has anybody besides me stripped the splines out of a Precision Industries torque converter? The converter has been in the truck for a few years but I sent it back to Precision for rebuild when I had the transmission built 16,000 miles ago. I put a RCD billet input shaft in it when I put the transmission back in. The converter is stripped where the input shaft goes into it.
The input shaft is fine and not even worn but you can see where it spun. I can put the shaft in the converter and turn it without turning the converter. I pulled the pan off of the transmission and it was fine. I can put the shaft in the transmission and it feels like it turns everything like it is supposed to. According to 107 @ 7330 lbs the truck is making around 600hp at the ground but is 2wd and it is useless to do any boosted launches. Precision is rebuilding for $265 plus $170 for the hub that was stripped out. It is a lot cheaper than a new one for around $1250.00. I can't complain a whole lot because I am rough on the truck but I never expected to strip the splines out. The last transmission, I broke the intermediate shaft.

09stroker

Reaction score
Can you physically see the splines in the TC stripped? Or metal pieces? You should still be able to turn the input shaft in the TC unless its locked which is obviously not possible with the trams off

jwfrauts

Reaction score
Yes, you can physically see that the splines do not have any teeth on them. Precision already has the converter and they confirmed that the splines are stripped.

jwfrauts

Reaction score
I was taking off from a light pretty hard and when it shifted into 3rd gear I heard a small pop and the truck quit pulling. I thought I broke another shaft but saw the splines when I pulled the transmission out.

Irontx

Reaction score
I was taking off from a light pretty hard and when it shifted into 3rd gear I heard a small pop and the truck quit pulling. I thought I broke another shaft but saw the splines when I pulled the transmission out.

Do tell us WHY you were taking off so hard?!?!? LOL

jwfrauts

Reaction score
I may have been accelerating a little faster than the car next to me. Felt like a real idiot when it broke. There are you happy now, Jesse. Lol.

Irontx

Reaction score
I may have been accelerating a little faster than the car next to me. Felt like a real idiot when it broke. There are you happy now, Jesse. Lol.

Yes i am!!!!!! lol I hate being the only one i know breaking stuff!!!!

JamesG

Reaction score
I have a 1999 galant. I was Turing at a light, after i made the turn my engine reved high and car was not accelerating. Once i took the transaxle out i saw the turbine splines were stripped/sheared off. But thg e shaft was fine...iam ordering a new converter.
I assume new converter, atf, and filter ought to fix it. Reckon?

Lmkasper

Reaction score
I have an 06 Durango that HAD a precision converter. We, too, were accelerating to pass and a pop, then nothing. The splines are completely stripped. It had only been in the truck for about 2 years

Latest posts

Members online