Trouble with recovering center console lid

mavrik2747

Reaction score
The leather on my console lid is cracked and I'm trying to replace it. Got a decent replacement off ebay and the lid out. My problem is that the lid has 2 pieces that are "sandwiched" together held by 18 clips (9 on each side). The sandwich design is to wrap the leather over the top piece, then when put together it holds it in place.

My problem is I can't get these clips released for the life of me and I'm afraid of breaking them. Anyone got any tips or tricks that's done this before?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The leather on my console lid is cracked and I'm trying to replace it. Got a decent replacement off ebay and the lid out. My problem is that the lid has 2 pieces that are "sandwiched" together held by 18 clips (9 on each side). The sandwich design is to wrap the leather over the top piece, then when put together it holds it in place.

My problem is I can't get these clips released for the life of me and I'm afraid of breaking them. Anyone got any tips or tricks that's done this before?

Why not replace the whole lid assembly? Or did you not get the whole lid, just the cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavrik2747

Reaction score
Why not replace the whole lid assembly? Or did you not get the whole lid, just the cover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got just the cover. I've been unable to just find only the lid assembly. Only option for replacement of the lid is getting an entire console for $700 vs $20 replacement cover

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
A picture would be helpful. You may end up prying one off/ breaking just to see how they work.

I am sure there are other ways to fasten it too if you end up breaking all the clips. Contact adhesive is quite effective.

mavrik2747

Reaction score
A picture would be helpful. You may end up prying one off/ breaking just to see how they work.

I am sure there are other ways to fasten it too if you end up breaking all the clips. Contact adhesive is quite effective.
This is the top of the lid that the padding sits on. You can see the access holes to the clips/retainers. Then a closeup of the retainer clip, then bottom of lid, the tried to show the inside of the side of the lid on how it clamps the cover on

Attachments

• 20220429_125533.jpg
    20220429_125533.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220429_125542.jpg
    20220429_125542.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 82
  • 20220429_125558.jpg
    20220429_125558.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220429_125616.jpg
    20220429_125616.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 70

mavrik2747

Reaction score
I've tried pushing the clip back from the lip it's on and have gotten a couple and broke one, but essentially I think I would need 18 small screw drivers to hold then all back and try to peel it apart. Don't think that's how it was designed to come apart if at all, lol

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Got me on that one. It has to come apart, they had to put it together some how.
Even if that is pry one and push the material out from underneath it, but it looks like they were added to the panel, not made with it.

mavrik2747

Reaction score
Got me on that one. It has to come apart, they had to put it together some how.
Even if that is pry one and push the material out from underneath it, but it looks like they were added to the panel, not made with it.
Yeah I was able to pull the original leather cover off with just a little tugging, so I don't know at this point other than breaking the clips and just figuring someway to hold them together with something strong enough to keep the new cover in place.

mavrik2747

Reaction score
Ended up just breaking all the clips. Had to use duck tape to hold the cover in place when "sandwiching" the two pieces backtogether. The only thing keeping pressure on the cover holding it in place is the screws for the handle and the hinge. Not the most secure but it'll work and easy to adjust if needed.

Latest posts

Members online