Waterpump replacement

Zaairman

Reaction score
The waterpump on my 2000 just blew up. No signs of it going out (leaking, noises,etc), just bam! Luckily, it was as I was pulling into my driveway. I tried searching but couldn't find anything relevant, so...

What's the preferred brand for replacement? I'm not in a rush, so I will probably be ordering from RockAuto.

I've heard the fan nut/clutch can be a bitch. What size is it and whats the best method to get it off?

I will also be upgrading to the 203* t-stat, billet housing, dual alternator upper hose, and adding a coolant filter.

sniper_101

Reaction score
The Napa brand one I picked up was cheaper than Ford by $100+ and has a lifetime warranty.

I had to put the old pump's impeller in the bench vice, put a crescent I believe it was on the nut and give it about 20 real good smacks to break it loose. Ended up pancaking the old impeller and get it spinning on the shaft and had to crunch that down in the vice. Heat probably would have helped a bit, but my impact would have been too slow to break it loose like a few swift smacks on the handle of the wrench.

Also, now is the perfect time to flush whatever was in there and add ELC and your coolant filter system.

Zaairman

Reaction score
I just switched to ELC 2 months ago when I did the oil cooler...

So you're saying the fan comes off with the air pump in once piece, then I take it off?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
There is a tool from matco that goes in the end if your air hammer. it knocks the fan right off. If you use a air hammer and a chisel bit you'll tear it up. leave tention on the belt though, knock the fan lose, than remove belt, remove water pump, etc.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I dont know, never had to take a fan off a 7.3 before... lol

borrow from Autozone

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
riffraff has a good price on stock brand new not reman water pumps..

dieselsite for the rest of the upgrades...

Last edited by a moderator:

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
If you don't want to buy the tool just spin it off with a chisel on the gun yes it will nick it but it will come right off.

Zaairman

Reaction score
Our good friend Bill Hewitt has some water pump videos on Youtube... Might actually see what he has to say about it later. :lookaround:

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I made a fan nut wrench myself. One good wack with a hammer and they come right off. It's never let me down yet.

Latest posts

Members online