Which 160/30 injectors?

greyford1979

Reaction score
I know the topic of injectors and tuning has been brought up a million times, I'm just tired of trying to search threads and the net. I just want some honest opinions. Here's what I'm looking for. I just want a set of 160/30s as I need my injectors replaced. Yes I know I can go bigger and detune them, but I don't really plan on going bigger. My brother has PIS 160/30s with PHP tunes and I really like how his feels. But there are more options out there and just wanted some honest opinions from others before I commit. I'm looking at PIS, Rosewood, and Fullforce for the 160/30s. Tuners would be PHP(which I have now), Gearhead, Powerstruck, and Dynoproven(formerly No limit Tuning) which I can get for free with a purchase of injectors from PIS. My brain hurts from trying to make my final decision LOL

greyford1979

Reaction score
You can get free tunes from Powerstruck with his injectors too. If you call him, tell him I sent ya. ;)

Actually I had pmed him with a few questions right after I started this thread. He replied back within a few mins :jawdrop: Making my decision even harder now :doh:

zilla68

Reaction score
the fact of the matter is if your happy with the brothers truck, go with what he has, that way you won't second guess your decision or always wonder why his is better/worse than yours.
I usually make decisions based on friends purchases, not someone I don't know who may be saying they have this or that and hell don't even own a truck, lol.

I have PIS injectors but honestly can't tell you how they are because I changed trucks right after I bought them and hadn't had time to install them. I bought them based off his reputation, and a buddy runs them also, so I figured my safest bet would be going with him.

I have a few friends that have had xyz injectors, and loved them, had some with tjy injectors and hated them. It's really about the tech support behind them, the reputation of the builder, etc.
I know its a tough decision, took me forever to make up my mind, but I liked that no limit tunes the PIS stuff and they've always had a great rep for service, sales and after the purchase support.

Good luck

White Buffalo

Reaction score
The injector decision for my Excursion drove me nuts for months, probably because it is not just about choosing injectors but about choosing all the parts that make up the system to achieve the power levels and driving characteristics that you are after. I.E. injectors, turbo, tuning, fuel.........For me it was better to backwards plan, choosing the power level then researching the different combinations to get there.

Swamps, Gearhead and PHP all have good explanations on there websites....here are the links to two of them, PHP's forums are down for now, but I like the injector chart that they had posted in their FAQ's section.

https://gearheadautomotiveperforman...uning-Products/Unlimited-Diesel-7.3-Injectors

http://swampsdiesel.com/prestashop/en/76-1999-2003

The first three questions I seem to ask myself when choosing injectors are:

1. what is the vehicle going to be used for
2. what HP/TQ level am I after
3. $$ budget plan $$

The problem is - when I start asking myself questions, I argue with myself over the answers......:swordfight: Damn voices in my head again.....:toast:

Last edited:

greyford1979

Reaction score
Yeah I'm having those arguments as well. Like what if I go with injector A and tuner B and my truck runs like poop, but then what if it doesn't :fustrate: Too bad you can't test drive the truck with all the different combo scenarios before making a decision LOL

zilla68

Reaction score
hell I had an easier time picking my kids names than injectors, tires, a tv, my laptop, and a handful of other things!

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
I prefer a product that I don't need the warranty.

Can you guarantee all of your customers, that you'll never have to send back any moving parts to your distributors for a warranty? You've never had a problem with a nozzle, plunger and barrel, poppet valve, armature screw, solenoid, etc.? Out of all of your parts that you install, none of them will ever fail?

It's not about not having to use the warranty or not, it's about how you take care of the customer, should the need arise. Parts fail, not very often, but it's a fact of life. A product with several moving parts has even more risk of failing. An injector with 100,000 miles on it has fired nearly 3,000,000 times on average, I can't guarantee to all of my customers, that nothing will ever fail. All we can do is make sure that they are assembled properly, and flow tested when they leave, and offer a lifetime warranty in case they ever have an issue down the road. We offer a lifetime warranty to ease our customers minds that this will be the last set of injectors that they will have to purchase. The only thing that we do not cover is damage caused by water, poor filtration, inadequate oil changes, etc. if the part fails, we repair or replace it.,plain and simple.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Can you guarantee all of your customers, that you'll never have to send back any moving parts to your distributors for a warranty? You've never had a problem with a nozzle, plunger and barrel, poppet valve, armature screw, solenoid, etc.? Out of all of your parts that you install, none of them will ever fail?

It's not about not having to use the warranty or not, it's about how you take care of the customer, should the need arise. Parts fail, not very often, but it's a fact of life. A product with several moving parts has even more risk of failing. An injector with 100,000 miles on it has fired nearly 3,000,000 times on average, I can't guarantee to all of my customers, that nothing will ever fail. All we can do is make sure that they are assembled properly, and flow tested when they leave, and offer a lifetime warranty in case they ever have an issue down the road. We offer a lifetime warranty to ease our customers minds that this will be the last set of injectors that they will have to purchase. The only thing that we do not cover is damage caused by water, poor filtration, inadequate oil changes, etc. if the part fails, we repair or replace it.,plain and simple.

Nope. That is why we have a warranty. Without digging through every file I can tell you 99% of the claims we have had were issues found upon startup. We have a very small a out of claims, actually last I checked we were at less than .25%

Apparently we on rare occasion have an injector that goes through our extremely struck processes that show absolute balance on our bench that just refuses to react the same way once installed in an engine verses our flowbench. We are still slowly chewing away at this issue. It arises not so often so testing is taking a while.

What gets me is if a product is going to fail due to workmanship or a bad new component it's going to happen soon after install. That's why we give 12 months as a buffer.

Giving two - five - or even "lifetime" warranties opens a company up to all kinds of issues. Usually not ending good from my perspective. I can not count how many times I receive business from competitors customers because they would not warranty their injectors for this or that reason. Either something in the fine print they didn't read or they were just tired after shipping them back three different times and they came back running the same way every time.

Not calling anyone out here. But when I buy products for my own personal vehicles I tend to the research and buy the best product. This never seems to be the product that is the cheapest and or have the best warranty. Just my .02 looking from the outside.

You are absolutely correct customer service is key. It's a shame how many companies have no clue of what is said about their customer service from those that have used it.

Unfortunately our retail prices continue to rise. But with the more R&D we perform, the more work and process we put I to our product and the more NEW parts we use we can simply can not offer a product for less and stay in business. Even our dealers tend to complain. But they also realize the money they save when there is low to zero issues they have to field after the product is sold. Typically only dealing with more business from the recommendations from these happy customers.

Last edited:

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
So you're telling me that a part with 3,000,000+ cycles isn't just as prone to failure as if it just came out of the box, or within 12 months?

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
So you're telling me that a part with 3,000,000+ cycles isn't just as prone to failure as if it just came out of the box, or within 12 months?

This the part where i tell you we have a strict process put upon all our injectors. The one thing we can not repair at this time is the seal the poppet has to the injector body. If it doesn't meet our specs it becomes scrap. Others can and will reuse them and we know because when we receive a low mileage set from somewhere they leak like crazy. And it's not always just one.

We have found that if you put good parts in with a good process warranty work will drop like a rock. Anyone want to pull up a thread about farmers injectors? Proof? What is sad is what many customers don't see what they just spent $$$ on. Corners cut and many components reused.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
The only problem that I have with this, is that you make it sound like you are the only guy out there that can build a quality injector. You have strict processes and all kinds of other fancy words to dazzle people with. We use a lot of the same processes and our benches are setup the same. In fact, I believe that I am the one that set you up with the pressure relief and flow control that you needed to get your bench going. So dazzle people all you want with your strict processes, but I will be there to stand behind our product when their 12 months is over.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I have no doubts that if I have a build related failure outside of my "12 month" warranty, that Tim will make it good. He's that kind of guy. My PIS injectors are the absolute least of my worries!!

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
The only problem that I have with this, is that you make it sound like you are the only guy out there that can build a quality injector. You have strict processes and all kinds of other fancy words to dazzle people with. We use a lot of the same processes and our benches are setup the same. In fact, I believe that I am the one that set you up with the pressure relief and flow control that you needed to get your bench going. So dazzle people all you want with your strict processes, but I will be there to stand behind our product when their 12 months is over.

When customers tell us, tuners tell us and then what we see time after time......maybe we start to believe it. :)

And sorry, are benches are not quite the same. Yes you did share what you used for your flow control, but we only use it for what it is, a pressure relief valve. We control our high pressure side a little differently.

We did have one customer come to us with a failure after his 12 months. We did take care of his needs and he was happy. Was it a total warranty coverage, no. But it was a customer induced issue and he was happy in the end. Like you stated that's all that matters.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to buy injectors from Nate( I never have but I would), Tim @pis (I have), or swamps diesel (I have).

I cant believe Nate offers lifetime warranty. Is this a "if it breaks, send it back" type warranty? If so, that is outstanding.

Latest posts

Members online