Rear Replacement Tank

Redpower

Reaction score
My rear tank is leaking on my truck and I am getting ready to order a new one. I see you can get a poly one for a little more money. This sounds pretty sweet since the Iowa winters seem to be hard on everything. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do the poly one?

Tom S

Reaction score
I have not come across any information on the poly tanks not being a good idea. Can you post up a link to what you are looking for. If you are not aware there are some other options for a larger tank as well. Depends on where you want to go with it and you have to consider your spare.

Redpower

Reaction score
I am pretty sure I can't run a 38 gal tank because I have a DMI ag hitch under the truck. The spare tire is already removed and it takes up most of the space under there. I will go for the standard size tank but am still up in the air on steel vs poly.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Yeah, the hitch might be an issue.

A few things I didn't care for on the Poly tank. The sending unit plate where the fuel lines go in and out of, was held to the tank with a bunch of sheet metal screws. Kind of cheesey but it worked.
And the tank woudl swell up something big. I might have had a venting issue, but the steel tank never had a problem.
In the end I don't care to get another poly, I'll get a steel tank, prep and paint it and it should be good to go for years.

JDNeis

Reaction score
I stumbled across this company the other week and ordered myself a 45 gal tank for the rear. they even offer a 40 gal front tank. www.aerotanks.com

They have a 2 yr warranty on them, and come with a brand new sending unit, also bolts to the frame, don't have to worry about straps. I expecting to arrive to me mid next week, Im gunna try to take pics and do a write up of the install.

Tom S

Reaction score
I tried one of those years ago on a Cherokee and was not happy with it. It seem to be lacking in expansion space and had a bad weld on a vent tube. That was quite a while ago so take that with a grain of salt. Lets us know what you think when you get it.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Some advice.
Take time to prep the tank and prime it, something like Rustoleum primer, then several top coats of rustoleum or equal. Maybe tractor enamel etc. Will make the tank last much longer. ;)

Tom S

Reaction score
I have another 38 gallon rear tank article saved on my computer if anyone wants it. It is too large to attach so I would have to email it.

Tom

JDNeis

Reaction score
Lucky me! The UPS man brought me my new tank today. To bad it was at the start of memorial day weekend, will have to wait till next weekend to get installed. Ill be sure to take pictures of the install.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial day weekend

Jared