New torque converter locking up in Reverse and 1st gear

gahm3r

Reaction score
I drove my F450 2500 miles (AK to OR) to pick up a new truck camper (about 4000 lbs). The way down was unloaded and didn't really notice any issues. On the way home loaded the converter clutch would slip from about 50-60 mph if the there was too much power going through it. This happened at about 20PSI of boost. I stopped it from happening by speeding up so the converter was spinning around 2050rpm and it seemed to reach stall speed and help out the clutch. I got home and ordered a new Precision Industries torque converter and now the truck stalls in Reverse and when come to a stop and the trans shifts down, i assume 1st gear. I am assuming a solenoid problem or leak somewhere in transmission is causing pressure to surge and be applied to the converter clutch. Line pressure d on my Auto Agent looks like it builds up and spikes to about 220 right before the converter locks and truck dies. Can anyone help me figure out what i should troubleshoot next?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I drove my F450 2500 miles (AK to OR) to pick up a new truck camper (about 4000 lbs). The way down was unloaded and didn't really notice any issues. On the way home loaded the converter clutch would slip from about 50-60 mph if the there was too much power going through it. This happened at about 20PSI of boost. I stopped it from happening by speeding up so the converter was spinning around 2050rpm and it seemed to reach stall speed and help out the clutch. I got home and ordered a new Precision Industries torque converter and now the truck stalls in Reverse and when come to a stop and the trans shifts down, i assume 1st gear. I am assuming a solenoid problem or leak somewhere in transmission is causing pressure to surge and be applied to the converter clutch. Line pressure d on my Auto Agent looks like it builds up and spikes to about 220 right before the converter locks and truck dies. Can anyone help me figure out what i should troubleshoot next?

Is the fluid full? Do you have a manual lockup switch installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.