why would you need one of these??

duddy

Reaction score
Its just for emergency shutdown in case the engine starts to run away. Like the engine starts running off its own oil, or starts running WOT and wont shutoff with the key. More or less a piece off mind saftey item but mandated by some racing and sled groups.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Im actually surprised that anything newer would need to worry about it AS MUCH as something older.

I know i read on oilburners that an IDI turbo ran away and sucked a phonebook through the intake. I guess if its true then 21.5:1 compression does work.

Im surprised that Dodge stayed together that long, damn.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
12 valve bottom ends are tough. I would guess it was a 2.6 or 2.8 puller. Probably built to withstand some RPM.

Reaction score
Im actually surprised that anything newer would need to worry about it AS MUCH as something older.

I know i read on oilburners that an IDI turbo ran away and sucked a phonebook through the intake. I guess if its true then 21.5:1 compression does work.

Im surprised that Dodge stayed together that long, damn.
you would be suprised on how many 6.4s and 6.0s will run away, especially with a crankcase full of fuel. lol run out with the keys in your hand till it pops!
:jawdrop:

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
I believe you could shut it down with water, but if you want any motor parts left i wouldnt.

I wonder if a fire extinguisher in the intake would kill it.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
I believe you could shut it down with water, but if you want any motor parts left i wouldnt.

If its a manual couldn't you just dump the clutch in a tall gear? That wouldn't work on any 6.7 but the older trucks it seems like it would.

moose99psd

Reaction score
when i worked for the ford dealer back when the 6.4s first hit the market we had 3 come in with run away conditions from cracked fuel lines filling the crankcase with fuel..

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score

A CO2 extinguisher would be what I would use in a best case scenario...shoot it in the intake and it will displace the o2 long enough to kill the motor without causing damage, unlike a dry chem, or water extinguisher.