The stupidest mistake of my life

tmillburg

Reaction score
so i pull up to the local BP fuel station and pull up to the pump with a green handle, iv got alot of stuff on my mind lately, tax related, anyway, so i get out pull the noozle out and start pumpin, few minutes pass and about 10 gallons later i realize that its unleaded gas, wtf, i dont know what i was thinkin but mofo, so i go pay for the gas, go back out and fill the rest of te tank with diesel, about 9 gallons, lucky i had about 1/4 tank o red dye in it, start it up drive 45 mins home, no problems, go to pull into the shop, wont start, crank it over more and it starts, so i drained the tank and put a full tank of fuel in it and walaa, good as new....hopefully

what do yall think i should do now?

Translated from Morse Code

tmillburg

Reaction score
i drove it another 50-60 miles awhile ago, no issues

Translated from Morse Code

skew12

Reaction score
Yea everything I've read on doing this to a 6.7 on these boards leads to one huge repair bill. Good luck bud.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Dont tell anybody what you did...LOL

Seriously, if the dealer gets wind of this your probably gonna get red flagged.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Dont tell anybody what you did...LOL

Seriously, if the dealer gets wind of this your probably gonna get red flagged.

This! I wouldn't run red in it either...seems like nowadays the dealers are looking for any excuse to deny warranties. Keep it full of no.2 and keep your fingers crossed.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Draining the fuel didnt cross your mind?

Is the red diesel ULSD or actual red off road diesel?

Red = offroad use only (no road taxes paid on it).
ULSD = Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (<5ppm sulfur IIRC).
LSD = Low Sulfur Diesel (<500ppm sulfur IIRC).
Red diesel is usually ULSD here in the states. I think there are still a few fuel dealers that will sell dyed LSD, but not a lot. With the Tier4 emissions coming out in the off-road equipment (UGH!!!) it would probably be better to run the ULSD than the LSD.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Draining the fuel didnt cross your mind?

Is the red diesel ULSD or actual red off road diesel?

All red diesel is off road diesel, other than the dye its is chemically no different than what you buy at the pump. Its only purpose for the dye is to notify that it is a non taxed fuel hence why its illegal to run it on the road.

flippincgfighter

Reaction score
All red diesel is off road diesel, other than the dye its is chemically no different than what you buy at the pump. Its only purpose for the dye is to notify that it is a non taxed fuel hence why its illegal to run it on the road.

True, i knew most red diesel is still ULSD, but around here you can still get LSD but it only comes in red. I didnt know if he was running ULSD Red or LSD Red......ive heard LSD isnt very good in the 6.7s

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
True, i knew most red diesel is still ULSD, but around here you can still get LSD but it only comes in red. I didnt know if he was running ULSD Red or LSD Red......ive heard LSD isnt very good in the 6.7s

LSD has more BTU's than ULSD so you can make more power and mileage off of it but at the cost of higher emissions.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Red = offroad use only (no road taxes paid on it).
ULSD = Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (<5ppm sulfur IIRC).
LSD = Low Sulfur Diesel (<500ppm sulfur IIRC).
Red diesel is usually ULSD here in the states. I think there are still a few fuel dealers that will sell dyed LSD, but not a lot. With the Tier4 emissions coming out in the off-road equipment (UGH!!!) it would probably be better to run the ULSD than the LSD.

15ppm from 500ppm