overheating

NEVRNF

Reaction score
I have been running electrics for the last 4 years with decent results until this last weekend. Got stuck in a traffic jam for 20 min. Had truck full of people and the a/c on. Truck got HOT!!!! shut the a/c off after 5 min of idling and temps kept climbing. @ 230* the truck went into high idle and topped out at 242* and stayed there. What sucks was it was only 82* outside and humidity was low.
Is there a way to use the factory Cummins electric clutch and have a manual lock up switch to get more airflow sitting still?
I have tried to fit a V10 clutch but it will not clear the Fluidampner and the GOS conversion clutch is too long and the fan hits the radiator. I know the stock Electric wil clear but how much larger is the 7.3 fan blade compared to the stocker.
Also is there a difference between the 6.0 and 7.3 radiators. I have a 6.0 sitting here and i think i am just going to keep my 7.3 electric setup for the winter so the truck will warm up quicker.

NEVRNF

Reaction score
Yes it is coming to a crossroad. Ditch the fluid dampner to get the cooling system to function.

NEVRNF

Reaction score
Just got a used one yesterday from a friend. What are you guys doing for trans lines into it. THey are 1/2" compared to the 3/8" early line. Who has a quick connect for them?
Now i Just need to find a 6.0 fan blade. Rock auto has them for $60 They have the best price on Hayden fan clutches for the Cummins also.

Last edited:

Deputydog

Reaction score
Just got a used one yesterday from a friend. What are you guys doing for trans lines into it. THey are 1/2" compared to the 3/8" early line. Who has a quick connect for them?
Now i Just need to find a 6.0 fan blade. Rock auto has them for $60 They have the best price on Hayden fan clutches for the Cummins also.

I just went to the local wrecking yard and got a 6.0 fan blade for $5.00

NEVRNF

Reaction score
The local yards here are priced about the same as the dealer. They are no deal. The last time i went for a buddy who needed a door for his 08 F250 they wanted 1k without the mirror or the interior panel.

bbbxcursion

Reaction score
Having a lock up switch for the Cummins fan clutch is a pain. It's just another thing to monitor.-That's how mine used to be set up. The 6.0 radiator fits great, make sure you get the upper radiator mounts for them. But the 6.0 radiator isn't too much bigger than the 7.3. Maybe try ditching the Fluidampner and put the V10 fan clutch and a 7.3 fan blade with a 7.3 fan shroud? Sell the Fluidampner and pay for all the parts you had to buy. My current set up is: 6.0 radiator/shroud, 7.3 fan blade, and a V10 fan clutch. I recently towed 10k when it's 110+ outside and not had a problem with overheating. I have 2 electric fans in front of the condensor so the a/c is cooler in traffic too.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
Having a lock up switch for the Cummins fan clutch is a pain. It's just another thing to monitor.-That's how mine used to be set up. The 6.0 radiator fits great, make sure you get the upper radiator mounts for them. But the 6.0 radiator isn't too much bigger than the 7.3. Maybe try ditching the Fluidampner and put the V10 fan clutch and a 7.3 fan blade with a 7.3 fan shroud? Sell the Fluidampner and pay for all the parts you had to buy. My current set up is: 6.0 radiator/shroud, 7.3 fan blade, and a V10 fan clutch. I recently towed 10k when it's 110+ outside and not had a problem with overheating. I have 2 electric fans in front of the condensor so the a/c is cooler in traffic too.

And I still want to see your rig someday!!!

NEVRNF

Reaction score
What did you do for the trans line fittings? It looks like i am going to have to buy the cooler hoses also to make the hook up at the radiator.

bbbxcursion

Reaction score
And I still want to see your rig someday!!!

I'm sure you will

What did you do for the trans line fittings? It looks like i am going to have to buy the cooler hoses also to make the hook up at the radiator.

I have the trans lines going to a 6.0 cooler, I haven't ran them through the radiator yet. If you do find some 3/8" 6.0 radiator adapters to bring it down to 3/8", could you ship me a couple and I'll send some $?