What works and what didnt....

99xlstroker

Reaction score
Ok guys I just recently purchased an F450 King Ranch, does anyone have any tips to get some more power out of her without breaking the bank, keeping it able to tow 30k safely and with decent mileage? Thanks

Spatel23

Reaction score
Tuner, intake, and exhaust.

Several good tuners to choose from. Only way to choose one is read up and see who best serves your needs. They will all delete the DPF, increase MPG, and increase power.

MINK

Reaction score
use your tow tune for the heavy weights, I've towed 12k on my street tune and did fine but the tranny wont like it if you have to make any hard downshifts in my experience...I second the tune,intake and exaust as a great setup and addition to the truck.

superstroked

Reaction score
Tuner, intake, and exhaust.

Several good tuners to choose from. Only way to choose one is read up and see who best serves your needs. They will all delete the DPF, increase MPG, and increase power.

:whs: fo sho...beyond these things, there a few easyish bolt ons you can do, Cold air pipe, down pipe ect that will help...after that it gets a little more expensive and labor intensive.

There are some stickies in the 6.4 performance section for what it takes to get to certain power levels.

99xlstroker

Reaction score
ok so a good tuner, intake and exhaust will work but what about the difference between an egr delete and just a cooler delete? Will either one work? Should I do a trans mod too just to keep it cool?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
na trans will stay cool on its own.

Egr block off plates are just that, blocker plates
FULL EGR delete is cooler removal and everything, niether are totally necessary but they do help reliablilty

As far as tuning i would probably go H&S for switch on the fly and a great monitor, plus you can get custom tow files from KEM

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
Think you also find that the spartan 210 tow tune might work well for your needs, they also have the must options as far as power levels go.

99xlstroker

Reaction score
Tow load is goin to be 2 pulling trucks or a backhoe. Most of the travel will be local unless we go to indiana or kentucky and that is only like two or three times a year. The kicker is that the trailer alone ways in at 9k with the trucks loaded or the machine we would be pushing 30k.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
If you got 4.88 gears start shopping for a gearvendors under/overdrive or plan on swapping to 4.30 gears.

The fuel economy is terrible. Don't waste your $$$ on a full egr delete w/ wastegate.. do the blockoff plates and be done with it. I regret dropping $1200 on the full delete.. Elite studs if you can get your hands on them.

I put about 3-4k a month on my F-450. She's running great now that I deleted all the silly stuff.

Good luck

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Tow load is goin to be 2 pulling trucks or a backhoe. Most of the travel will be local unless we go to indiana or kentucky and that is only like two or three times a year. The kicker is that the trailer alone ways in at 9k with the trucks loaded or the machine we would be pushing 30k.

I pull 30+ alot.. handles it like a champ. Run synthetic oil to help w/ EOT's. I came off a job last week at 32k and ran 70mph home. EOT sat around 217-220

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Why do you regret the egr delete with wastegate? Just curious

The cost of the wastegate set up far outweighs the benefits. My exhaust backpressure w/ the wastegate totally shut off never get's higher than 50-52 psi (41psi boost)

For towing/work it's just not needed. If I was spraying nitrous?? Then yes.. but not for work.. I would just remove the coolers and block it off.

If you could get a kit for $600 then maybe.. but not at the current price.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
The cost of the wastegate set up far outweighs the benefits. My exhaust backpressure w/ the wastegate totally shut off never get's higher than 50-52 psi (41psi boost)

For towing/work it's just not needed. If I was spraying nitrous?? Then yes.. but not for work.. I would just remove the coolers and block it off.

If you could get a kit for $600 then maybe.. but not at the current price.

your prolly actually still seing the gate open. you're just running off spring pressure. at 41psi boost you're most likely well over 60bp. i may be wrong, but your valvetrain thanks you for having that gate, i promise you.