38r question

big johnson

Reaction score
so i just installed my 38r in my truck last night and a beans over boost kit and had been driving it around and im only getting it to boost like 20 pounds it will get there fast and hold it but i thought that it would boost more then that and thats about all i got from stock. I did get it up to 24 or 25 but it went back down. i dont know wether the over boost regulator needs to be adjusted or what but any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Last edited:

big johnson

Reaction score
i tried putting current mods in my sig hold on. and i did post the same thread in psn if anybody thought it sounded familiar lol

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
With the mods you have now you could just wire the gate shut..

And you would not over boost..

Were are you reading your boost pressure from?? MAP sensor line???

Or just plug the red line like Big Bore said

bpcheramie

Reaction score
What side are you reading your boost on? Please tell me it is before the over boost kit....

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I could hit 30-33psi all day long with the 38r I had on stock injectors...

I would disconnect the red line that goes to the WG and see what it does. If your boost goes higher than 20 then try to tightening up your wastegate.

If that does work, set it to 23-25psi for DD, if you ever go to the track just unplug the wg.

Charles

Reaction score
Some of the 38R's come with little if any pre-load on the wastegate actuator. Might need a few turns. You can grab it by hand and tell. Although be aware that this will make it tend to surge when towing with that little 1.0 housing on there.

a_moore

Reaction score
25psi will burn all the fuel stock AD's will flow. Blocking off the WG is just gonna make more backpressure than needed to burn the stock fueling.

I would look real hard at the pressure ratio before deciding to molest the wastegate. What makes people think more boost is gonna make more power?

If this truck in question has performance injectors.....disregard the above statement.

Big Bore

Reaction score
25psi will burn all the fuel stock AD's will flow. Blocking off the WG is just gonna make more backpressure than needed to burn the stock fueling.

I would look real hard at the pressure ratio before deciding to molest the wastegate. What makes people think more boost is gonna make more power?

If this truck in question has performance injectors.....disregard the above statement.

Good point, I see he put his mods in his sig now, and I don't see injectors.

big johnson

Reaction score
ya Im not going to mess with it now im waiting on my srp1 to come in and im hopefully getting hybrids and tunes from swamps soon. Im not thinking more boost means more power I was just led to believe that the 38r was going to boost higher and was trying to make sure nothing was wrong because it didnt

Whytry

Reaction score
The hybrids depending on what size will get your boost pressure up. I think most run high 30s with proper fuel. I would also recommend a fuel system or at least monitor the fuel pressure.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
New sticks will bring the boost up for sure. The thing is, a 38r flows something like 33% more air, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that number. This means you can get the same volume with less psi. Pressure is not your friend, and as long as you're cleaning up your exhaust you know you're moving enough air.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.