cat swap

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I can't answer your question - but the best thing I ever did was sell a truck that had a 3126 in it - you won't find me acquiring another one any time soon.

Reaction score
The problem with a 3116 is that the fuel system is very finicky. The are really sensitive to injector synchronization. They also take a lot of specialized tooling to set. I've worked at a cat dealer for 8 years and imho I wouldn't put on in mine. Go with a dt466 or something. The 3116 will only put out 400hp or so and will be very unreliable at that power level.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
BUT IT WOULD BE COOL!!! Honestly I've heard it all but I want to do something unique. My father worked on big iron with these babies for 30 years. I know he has whatever tools I'd need and a little bit of know how. I'm not building a drag truck.I'm building a cool truck

autocorrected by taptalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The problem with a 3116 is that the fuel system is very finicky. The are really sensitive to injector synchronization. They also take a lot of specialized tooling to set. I've worked at a cat dealer for 8 years and imho I wouldn't put on in mine. Go with a dt466 or something. The 3116 will only put out 400hp or so and will be very unreliable at that power level.

I agree, same experience, just not worth it, very labor intensive

Reaction score
There is a guy here in central Illinois in Peoria that works for the same dealership that I do. He has one in a 70's ford. Had lots of problems with the front suspension handling the weight. He put an allison behind his. Also the big truck allison did not really work right in the light truck. I think its cool but I would go a different direction. Maybe a c-7 so you can have the wonderful heui injection system.:rolleyes:

HOOV3R

Reaction score
3116 and 3126 wouldn't be worth the hassle. All that work for an engine that will not support power, and are a pain in the ass.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
I work at a Cat dealer and have worked on them. I don't want anything to do with them. If you've ever worked on / seen the problems they have, you would feel the same way.

Latest posts

Members online