cat swap

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Someday there will be a post about someone doing a swap where nobody says " put a Cummins in it" if a guy has the time to swap into a Sd and wants to do it what's it matter. Trust me EVERYONE knows how the 12 v would be easier and cheaper. I could swap it into my 73 in a weekend so its not like I'm wasting time. It's not a drag truck, its not a sled puller, its a cool idea someone had to do something that hasn't been done everywhere you look.

autocorrected by taptalk

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You guys are about as open minded as a Brick wall.

autocorrected by taptalk

Huge difference between being open minded and realistic. Realistically this motor swap will cost more time, effort, and money, and prove to be more of a headache and less reliable than whatever motor is in between the frame rails. The 3116/3126 engines are boat anchors on a good day. This is from experience using, repairing, and replacing these engines. In this thread you have former users, current users, CAT repair techs (sorry - don't know your actual title) - all telling you the same thing.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
So because I have a 73 that sitting in the back pasture rotting, a motor on a crate doing the same and a free trans, and am spending next to nothing on it all means I'm not being realistic ? I.just don't get it, what happens if its a pos? I'll crush it and am out hardly any $ and just some time

autocorrected by taptalk

El chupacabra

Reaction score
*** it dude just do it you don't need anyone's approval here. its your truck do what you want. Everyone says its not reliable or practical honestly how many trucks on here are reliable or practical. If you got the parts I say go for it. Its not like your looking to make something unrealistic about it you already know its not gonna be some hot rod drag truck or puller. As unreliable it will be though I wouldn't make it my only means of transportation.

-Jake-

powerlifter405

Reaction score
piss or get off the pot. Why bother w/ the question if you wanted to do it?

Do it, start a build thread and see what happens.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
It sounds like your mind is set on the swap anyway...and you don't really want anyones opinion about it.

If it were me and i had guys telling me hey this engine is going to be a PITA and give you problems...id try to sell it and use the $ to buy one that would be better suited for the swap

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Was just trying to help you avoid the headaches. 3116s are only rated for around 250hp factory average. What's your s/n, I can tell you what it's rated for factory.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
So because I have a 73 that sitting in the back pasture rotting, a motor on a crate doing the same and a free trans, and am spending next to nothing on it all means I'm not being realistic ? I.just don't get it, what happens if its a pos? I'll crush it and am out hardly any $ and just some time

autocorrected by taptalk

I'm saying that if it was my truck and my engine and both of them were sitting there - I would scrap the CAT engine and continue to let the truck rot if I couldn't come up with a better engine before I would spend ANY time and ANY money to make a swap that is difficult to make physically fit as well as has the curb appeal of a shinny turd if it gets completed.

I am by no means saying - "Swap a cummings into it!" - Just use a motor that has an iota of a chance of actually being something worthwhile in the end. I honestly like CAT engines - but every company has bad ones - and a CAT 3116/3126 engine is pretty craptacular.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
lol @ the mouthbreathers who think anything CAT is awesome and all Allisons are the best transmissions evar!

do yourself a HUGE favor and paint a 12v Cummins yellow and drop it in there. You can run a CAT plate and call it a CAT and all the other CAT fanbois won't know any better

Fordguy100

Reaction score
My father is trying to sell this...better than that Cat, thats for sure...

B744-4BD3-9DFD-036201DC5B4F-11732-000018C4425A1250.jpg

4DC5-4EA5-B77D-FB71413061A1-11732-000018C43A922B7A.jpg

P-pumped Cummins 8.3/Allison M3060P. 325hp, 960ft lbs if I remember correctly. Some a$$hat drove out in front of them from a side street, towing a hot dog stand. Total'ed their coach out. That engine/tranny combo is BA though.

Also, the coach they got after this one...has a "hot" Cat 3126 (330hp). When I heard they got that...I told them to swap in the cummins and get ride of that engine!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online