2wd traction bars?

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
I got a 02 f250 2wd that needs a set of traction bars. What kit do you recommend? Most of the ones I have looked at online say 4x4 only. If I need to make the bars I can but i would like to buy some brackets that bolt on if possible.

young7.3

Reaction score
Im not sure why they say 4x4 only, unless they come with bars for the front too.But you can find brackets on the internet or through vendors. Get a couple johny joints or greasable bushings with some tubing and your set.

JDub

Reaction score
I'd put Cal-Tracs on it, loved them on my 2wd. Truck used to just spin tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. After the bars were installed it would chirp them on the shifts, then squat, plant the tires and go...

Whytry

Reaction score
Tom s had a thread on his but I can't seem to find it. maybe try messaging him he had a really cool setup going.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I'd put Cal-Tracs on it, loved them on my 2wd. Truck used to just spin tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. After the bars were installed it would chirp them on the shifts, then squat, plant the tires and go...

:whs:
For a 2wd application, Id go with Cal-tracs as well

JDub

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the setup I installed in my 99 truck

2173282010075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

Layson

Reaction score
what difference does it make that it is 2wd?

I would go with OUO.

BFD99

Reaction score
From Comp D
After talking with a friend who runs caltrac's on both his 8 sec., wheel hanging footbrake cars I found out some valuable infromation.

The preload settings caltracs recommends are really designed for TRANSBRAKE cars!! With a transbrake there is no load on the suspension until the button is released. Totally different when footbraking.

His first reccomendation was to check the spring travel. there must be at least 4.5" of travel in the suspension. Measure the tire to the wheel well when wieght is on the springs. Then jack it up and support the frame letting the rear wheels hang. Measure the distance again. If you don't have at least 4.5", the caltracs will not work properly.

Next, you want to set the preload WHEN UNDER FOOTBRAKE LOAD. In other words, you want a half turn or so of preload when the suspension is under staging load!!

If you watch any of the videos of my truck at TS you will see how it was hopping and spinning all over the place. I had it set with a half turn of preload in the static position. After talking with my buddy, I took his suggestion and set them up as follows:

On level ground, I adjusted the bars finger tight until the pin just touched the springs. Then BACKED them off 3 full turns. This places the pin 3/8-1/2" from the spring.

Since TS, my truck leaves hard and solid. No hopping, no spinning.

;)

Lowdown89

Reaction score
How good are these at helping out getting a 2wd dually to hook? With my narrow tires even only making 400hp I spin so badly I can't launch at hardly anything over idle

Mpoage

Reaction score
Alot of people use them on there 4x4's. I believe there on MPD's race truck as well.