MCC Tuning

mike@haller's

Reaction score
With all the stuff going on with the epa and smoking I thought I would give you guys a little help with MCC to get your rigs running cleaner. I have been tuning some trucks with mcc. And with the help of dustin have come up with some good stuff to control low boost fueling.
Alot can be found by rescaling the map sensor for the boost your making. The table below is setup for a stock turbo truck. I have used it with a truck that has a 71mm drop in with good success as well. The point of it is to limit your fueling until that pressure has been achieved. When playing with this table make small changes to each box. If you go to high with the number you will actually get a dead spot in the pedal where power goes flat and then picks back up again when it goes into the next table. If that happens lower the psi number down a couple psi until it picks up again. At the same time if you are still getting smoke, take note of what psi it is at and raise that a few psi at a time till it becomes clean.

This top table is a stock boost axis table for comparison.

stockboosttable.png

Here is the one I use in tuning. This table produces a very clean tail pipe at all times at 6k feet elevation. With no dead spots.

boostaxis.png
[/IMG]

At the same time you need to adjust your transient as well as your steady state smoke limitation tables. The table below decides how much fuel you are injecting based on Psi of boost that the engine is producing. I use the same table below for the steady state table as well.

Transienttable.png
[/IMG]

I know this is just a start but should help some of you to get started in making your rigs more efficient. What I have found is H&S's base files they give you are pretty good already and only require small changes to fine tune them. Atleast until your setups get wilder.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Also for when you guys go to dynos here is a quick trick to keep your truck from down shifting. Set your 5-4 shift in tow haul to 20. Roll your truck up in high gear set tow haul and now you can load your truck as hard as you want with out fear of down shifting the trans.

Dynotransfile.png

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thanks for posting screen shots.

Fwiw these are about the only modded tables in my race truck and I've picked up a good amount of power by actually making the truck smoke less. Went from 118-119 trap speeds to 123-124 with minimal changes. Just more refined because I scaled to 50 psi and tuned for my nozzles

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Also instead of trying to copy those tables. If you guys want pm me your email and ill send you a tune with just those changes so you can copy them into your tune easier.

6.0L Stroker

Reaction score
It's very cool to read all of this and learn about it. I wish someone would do this for the 6.7s so us noobs can get a little idea of where to start and how to fine tune it.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! Have you done anything for rattling/noisey injectors on the 6.4 yet? Still reading and hunting around MCC software before I try and mess with anything so any insight is appreciated :) Thanks!

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Thanks for the post! Have you done anything for rattling/noisey injectors on the 6.4 yet? Still reading and hunting around MCC software before I try and mess with anything so any insight is appreciated :) Thanks!

I havent ran into a noisy injector truck yet that needs fixed. Generally the noise can be fixed in the timing tables and rail pressure tables.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
I havent ran into a noisy injector truck yet that needs fixed. Generally the noise can be fixed in the timing tables and rail pressure tables.

Thanks for the tips Mike, greatly appreciated. I will take a look at those tables, bad time of the year to be buying toys but going to try and get an MCC code ASAP and get these things to quiet down, noisy as hell on these canned tunes. Thanks again!! :toast:

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Only got slightly better with 41-44 updates but stock 6.4's are 60-70% quieter than my truck so I know there is something going on with the tune. I really thought I was just being picky but luckily 2 6.4's showed up for tires that same week and I knew I had to start looking to MCC :)

mike@haller's

Reaction score
For those that I have sent that tune to here is a quick run down on how to compare and copy the files.

Load your file first then click on compare at the top.

compare.png

Next browse and find where you saved your file.

compare2.png

Once you have the comparison loaded, go to the (boost calculation used in smoke limit map) table. Once you have it opened, click the double arrow in the top left. I have it labeled as 1 in the pic below. Once you click it you will see that the name at the top of the table will change to show your looking at the comparison. This is where label 3 is. Once you are on your comparison tune click the empty box on the top left of the table thats labeled 4. This will highlight the whole table. Hit control C to save then click the double arrow to go back to your original file. Click the top left box again to highlight the table, control V to paste it into your file. Once you have done that click the floppy disk icon in the top left labeled 5 to save it to the bin. Repeat this process for the other two files as well.

compare4.png

Also a quick way to find the differences in the files, is to click the big double arrow next to the calculator icon after loading your comparison file.
Your main tune and your comparison tune will be shown. Click search and it will show all the tables that are different. Simply click on the table and it will take you right to it so you can modify it.

compare5.png

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
this is all extremely good information and Mike i applaud you and dustin as well for posting this information to help others who may be a little worried about messing with this new MCC tuning themselves