Adding wifi system: suggestions?

VanoFord

Reaction score
Looking to add wifi to the truck. Secured system of course. Preferably w/ a reliable distance of 100' min. Suggestions? Crutch field had one but it had bad reviews. Thanks. Links are always best. Have a good one!

bad12jr

Reaction score
Verizon mifi would do the job. Can't remember the range on it though.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

bad12jr

Reaction score
Battery shouldn't be an issue if its going to be mounted in a vehicle. There is a company as well that sells a router you can plug the USB air cards into from AT&T and Verizon. They are the size of a standard router and have great range. Had one at the radioshack I worked at. Would reach about 150 ft even in a large metal building. The building was about 100 and it would go about 50 ft out side. Worked very well. We used it as a back up system if the land internet had an issue.

VanoFord

Reaction score
So it looks like I'd have to buy a separate service on top of the router in order to actually project wifi, is that correct? Also I'd prefer to stay away from the main carriers if at all possible. Thanks so far guys!

bad12jr

Reaction score
To have internet yes. If you just wanna communicate between two devices then no you don't.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Looking to add wifi to the truck. Secured system of course. Preferably w/ a reliable distance of 100' min. Suggestions? Crutch field had one but it had bad reviews. Thanks. Links are always best. Have a good one!

Why, if I hay ask, do you need 100' range? Truck cab is only 6-8 feet long.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
You can't even for an extra fee? That is how my plan was till I added my fiance's phone to my plan. Now it is free but I lost my unlimited data.

Guess I could see it if that was the situation. Wouldn't you need a wireless card then? Just plug that into the laptop or add the tablet to your data plan.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Foxfi. Will solve your hotspot problems. Works on non rooted phones but on jelly bean.

TERRCO

Reaction score
Last I checked if you were on the unlimited data plan it was not available for you. You will have to drop the unlimited plan if you wanna hotspot. Tether is extra also

bad12jr

Reaction score
Look up foxFi. It is not affiliated with the carriers. It routes all data as if it was your browser. I meant it won't work on jelly bean. Sorry.

bad12jr

Reaction score
It would work well but a permenant solution may be better. And use the phone if away from the truck

Gearhead

Reaction score
If you want a top notch solution, get a Raven-x ethernet modem (can get 4g now) plugged into the back of a linksys access point. The range on the raven-x will get you cell coverage when you phone is crying uncle right next to it.

I have used the ravens for some remote applicaitons and could always depend on them.

Latest posts

Members online