Brakes

Twan

Reaction score
Going to rebuild my brakes before summer, and just waiting info on what works best, should I go to ford and get oem or get after market rotors.
Thanks.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
rotor brand doesn't matter if the run out on the surface is correct, get wagner severe duty pads and shoes or motorcraft superduty.

index the rotors to have minimal runout with a dial indicator, if needed get them machined with an on the car lathe to achieve a runout of less than 0.003"

make sure to bleed the system to get new brake fluid in the calipers

if any of the caliper pistons have increased resistance when pushing them in go ahead and replace the caliper and prevent the break down that will happen!

Twan

Reaction score
I got rotors from advance about a year again and they are getting heat soaked really fast, it never did that stock. Would rotors from R1 concepts be a good choice, or is oem the only way to go?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
I got rotors from advance about a year again and they are getting heat soaked really fast, it never did that stock. Would rotors from R1 concepts be a good choice, or is oem the only way to go?

your pads are more than likely the cause of the concern

Twan

Reaction score
Pads are the oem ford pads, did pads and rotors at the same time. I didn't do the brake flush, getting that done when I get the head studs done.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
if you get new rotors and have them machined with an on the car lathe and use wagner severe duty pads you will not be disappointed with the results

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I usually dont like to turn rotors on these trucks, generally its better to have as much meat on them as possible to keep the from warping.

I would put OEM rotors on it honestly.

They do make a slotted and dimpled rotor but from what i understand unless you do a ton of performance style braking they are not the way to go on a tow rig

jdc753

Reaction score
the Factory set of rotors on my truck rotted out on the truck

1025081604a-1.jpg

Ended up going to my hometown parts shop and got 4 rotors, pads and a caliper, all wagner, all stuff I had used for years before on previous vehicles. The parts guy told me he had seen this before, even when they would get rotors in to turn them, they would start removing material hoping to get rid of the rot and would just find it expanding as they turned the rotors.

So I figured I would be good going with the aftermarket wagners, thinking Ford had a bad batch. Well last I checked the wagners are doing the same thing, random rotted spots, not as bad yet as the above picture and I have nearly 100k on the second set of pads/rotors but still I don't like seeing rot on the braking surface. Next set of rotors for me will probably be a cheap ebay set.

tyedyer

Reaction score
I put ebc sport rotars and ebc yellow stuff pads on mine on all corners. Things are wild. Stops my 40's like nothing. Cost be bout a grand for the works and I'd highly recommend them if you got a bit of money to play with

abbottfarms

Reaction score
if you get new rotors and have them machined. ith an on the car lathe and use wagner severe duty pads you will not be disappointed with the results

I run these on all of my pick up trucks, hands down the best pads I've found for towing. My pick ups have a g/n hooked to them 80% of the time, they seem to last a fair amount of time compaired to others I've run including oem.