7.3 Highboy swap?

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Well my '95 F350 7.3/ZF ate a tree this morning, so I hopped on craiglist to see what else was out there. I found a cherry '77 Highboy with a 300/4spd and it got me thinking...

Has anyone swaped a 7.3 PSD into one of these trucks? I found a couple IDI swaps on google so it sounds the like engine will physically fit.

How can I make the tach and speedo work?
Does anyone make a 7.3 swap wiring harness?
What all can I get rid of and what should I keep?
Is this idea really as cool as I think it is?

Don't bother suggesting a Cummins swap... been there and done that, and I don't have a wrecked Dodge sitting at my shop, I have a wrecked Ford.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Spiffy. Don't think I want anything that crazy, just need something to pull my car to the track and good off in at the beach.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Well my '95 F350 7.3/ZF ate a tree this morning, so I hopped on craiglist to see what else was out there. I found a cherry '77 Highboy with a 300/4spd and it got me thinking...

Has anyone swaped a 7.3 PSD into one of these trucks? I found a couple IDI swaps on google so it sounds the like engine will physically fit.

How can I make the tach and speedo work?
Does anyone make a 7.3 swap wiring harness?
What all can I get rid of and what should I keep?
Is this idea really as cool as I think it is?

Don't bother suggesting a Cummins swap... been there and done that, and I don't have a wrecked Dodge sitting at my shop, I have a wrecked Ford.

I know you said don't suggest a Cummins swap, but:

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/cto/3642463951.html

I know nothing about that truck. Just found it cruising Craigslist the other day.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
7adatu8e.jpg
my bro in laws 86.. not quite a highboy bit still a fun project. You will more than likely have a bunch of Cummins nut swingers tell you its a waste of time, but that's not their chhoice when my e99 takes a dump its going in my 73 highboy

sent while needing more cowbell

Wayne

Reaction score
7.3 should fit fine between the frame rails.
broncopics_015.JPG

Not exactly the same as mine was sourced from an OBS, but you get the idea. Plenty of frame space. Bushwacker cutouts FTW!

1ofakind79

Reaction score
It will fit without much problems. For the speedo just swap in your rear PSD if you use the who wiring harness and gauge cluster. You would have to fab motor mounts, use the throttel peddle from the psd. Getting the rad to fit may be tough. The downpipe may be tight also. I would think if you did a body lift it would go in very easy. I have seen it done in a 72 highboy with out a body lift.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
It would fit for sure. You just need custom motor and transmission mounts - and all the wiring from a donor truck to make a harness to run the engine.

There is no way I would even contemplate making the OEM tach and speedo work. Not worth the effort IMHO.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I just don't want the newer dash in the older truck. The interior in this thing is cherry and I'm digging the old school look. Maybe I'll just use a sending unit on the balacer like people use for 12v swaps to make the tach function.

I have an entir fab shop at my disposal, so fabbing crossmembers is no biggie and if I'm feeling froggy I could even do some custom headers and downpipe to make it work

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Yeah the speedo is a non issue now... and with the 5 speed ECM there should be no ill effects from not having a VSS signal right?

This is sounding more and more doable... but I think I might cop out, I got a line on a cummins to SBF adapter plate, flywheel, and clutch and 6BT's are easy to come by in my business...

bng305

Reaction score

This is sounding more and more doable... but I think I might cop out, I got a line on a cummins to SBF adapter plate, flywheel, and clutch and 6BT's are easy to come by in my business...

:pointlaugh: LOL LOL

oldschool

Reaction score
This is sounding more and more doable... but I think I might cop out said:
Go for the powerstroke swap, you would have something that not too may others have!! ANYbody can sway a cummins!

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Hey man I'm in the same boat as you so I might be doin the PSD swap into my 76 highboy. I'd much rather see that than a cumminGs in there. As long as you have the wiring for the motor and power to the computers it should run just fine right?

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

Binder man

Reaction score
I might be able to help you on the harness side of things. If you decide to go this route.