Purpose of these brackets?

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
negape7e.jpg

zugasu3u.jpg

4ygepeja.jpg

I just installed a 2WD valance and these two brackets where hanging lower than the valance. I removed them as they were holding nothing and just attached to the end of the frame with four bolts a piece.

Anyone know what purpose they serve and if its ok to take them off?

Sent while dismantling your neighbors meth lab.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I think they are just for support for the larger air dam or possibly for something for if you rear end somebody to keep them from ending up under your car. Mine have been sitting in the shed almost as long as I have had my truck

Zmann

Reaction score
I vote for your second good guess
since they are beefy and valances haven't needed support in the past years even the 3 inch

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yeah we had two guess also. One was for a plow and because we have never seen a snow plow we didn't know lol and second guess was to protect against climbing up a car.

Sombrero

Reaction score
I was told they are the positioning pins/stands for the frame when it travels down the assembly line. The dealer was supposed to take them off during the PDI.

Zmann

Reaction score
I did a Google and it looks like the accident protection is the answer basically for sloped front ends and head on collisions

those brackets cost at least 5 bucks for FORD to buy do you really think they would want the dealer to pull them and discard if they were in fact for the assembly line only ???

when Ford had that truck on a perfectly good assembly line to remove and reuse them ??

Last edited:

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Thanks zmann that's what I was leaning toward also being that there were no bolt holes on the bottom of the brackets for plow or assembly line mounts.

Sombrero that is a good guess though I didn't think of that one.

Sombrero

Reaction score
The assembly line isn't really bolted on to the truck per se. The truck "pins" sit in cups/cradles that locate the frame in an exact manner for the robots to work properly. I could be wrong on what those brackets are, I'm not debating that. My guess comes from talking to ford mechanics and technicians about all phases of the assembly process.

Sombrero

Reaction score
I did a Google and it looks like the accident protection is the answer basically for sloped front ends and head on collisions

those brackets cost at least 5 bucks for FORD to buy do you really think they would want the dealer to pull them and discard if they were in fact for the assembly line only ???

when Ford had that truck on a perfectly good assembly line to remove and reuse them ??

Having been in several collisions of varying speed, those brackets wouldn't do sh*t in the event you rear-end somebody. Most trucks don't drive up over a car no matter how small or short it is when they rear-end it. Key word most. I doubt those brackets cost ford $5 a piece. To answer your second question, Because they make mistakes too. How am I supposed to know. The op was looking for answers as to what those brackets were. A few of us made guesses or speculated because we are not sure. You obviously didn't know either so what makes you the expert that gets to give me a smart ass comment when I make an educated guess? :flipa:

Zmann

Reaction score
what makes you the expert that gets to give me a smart ass comment when I make an educated guess?

that would Be common sense that gave Me the right LOL

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Sorry to be off topic, but where did u get the 2wd valence?

Chris

My dad just got a 2013 2WD for work and he didn't care if I swapped them so I did. You can see my valance on his in the first picture to the right of my truck. After the swap he said "sh*t that's low" lol but his doesn't leave pavement so it should be fine.

Zmann

Reaction score
on the 6.4's the job 1 had a small valance then they went to a large unit and folks were scrambling to get them because the theory was they increased fuel MPG

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
I heard the mpg talk also but my intentions were based purely off of looks and I think this one fits a lifted truck WAY better.

Sombrero

Reaction score
that would Be common sense that gave Me the right LOL

So common sense tells you they are for auto accident purposes and my opinion is wrong? Good for you. You must be perfect if your "guess" is correct and everyone else is wrong.

webb06

Reaction score
So common sense tells you they are for auto accident purposes and my opinion is wrong? Good for you. You must be perfect if your "guess" is correct and everyone else is wrong.

Easy there big shifter. It's not that big of a deal

Sombrero

Reaction score
You are correct. But I believe courtesy and respect should be given to everyone on a forum until they do something where they no longer deserve it. This helps everyone enjoy the forum's more when you don't have to worry about stupid comments if you decide to post an answer to a thread question.

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
That does look good bro! Now get rid of the crappy ford steps and put some Amps on there...

Thanks brotha. Yeah I can't freakin wait till the wife graduates. I have a long list to get started on come November, amps included.

I'm gonna be swapping out my dads grill surround and bumpers next since his XL comes with them primed and ready to PTM. It was an easy sell he wants the chrome lol.

I haven't seen one my color all painted to match so I hope it comes out good.