Is a capacitor needed?

nickg3130

Reaction score
Well, i decided to upgrade my system a little bit and bought 2 12" L3 solo baric kicker subs. I had a p-5002 rockford fosgate powering both of my old subs and i didn't think it would be enough power for both of the kickers. I bridged one of the amps to one of the l3s temporarily and it sounds great so i am going to add the identical amp/sub combo which i already have in my possession. My question is do i need a capacitor for my set up? Its going to be 2 rockford fosgate p500-2 amps and one alpine 4-channel speaker amp in total. Not sure the exact rms on the entire system but id say near 1000. ANy help would be appreciated.

jdc753

Reaction score
Short answer, No...

You are looking at 1000w for the sub amps, and then say another 400 or less for the 4-channel. I don't see that draining your system. In my truck my sub amplifier is wired up to feed 1500w to the sub, and the 4-channel is rated for 400, but probably putting out around 300, but I have yet to ever have a dimming issue with stock electrical.

A capacitor is a bandaid at best to a bigger problem, or is just a really tiny battery in the electrical system, that now the system will have to recharge when the capacitor is drained. The best way to do it, if you notice a dimming or electrical drain issues is to first upgrade your charging and ground wires, commonly referred to as "The Big 3" basically upsizing the wire from the alternator to a 1/0 and also the grounding wires from the motor and the battery to 1/0, and in our trucks the wires that connect the batteries since we have a dual battery configuration.

Then if the wire upgrade doesn't alleviate things your next best step is either a larger alternator, or adding a third full battery like an optima yellow top.

Basically the electrical system is like the fuel system in our truck, the larger the wire/fuel line the more volume can be supplied with less pressure drop (voltage drop) and a capacitor added into the system will be close to the equivalent of a fuel bowl or the secondary filter housing versus the fuel tank, it is just a small amount of volume that if drained will take a little bit to replenish.

Hope this helps.

nickg3130

Reaction score
Short answer, No...

You are looking at 1000w for the sub amps, and then say another 400 or less for the 4-channel. I don't see that draining your system. In my truck my sub amplifier is wired up to feed 1500w to the sub, and the 4-channel is rated for 400, but probably putting out around 300, but I have yet to ever have a dimming issue with stock electrical.

A capacitor is a bandaid at best to a bigger problem, or is just a really tiny battery in the electrical system, that now the system will have to recharge when the capacitor is drained. The best way to do it, if you notice a dimming or electrical drain issues is to first upgrade your charging and ground wires, commonly referred to as "The Big 3" basically upsizing the wire from the alternator to a 1/0 and also the grounding wires from the motor and the battery to 1/0, and in our trucks the wires that connect the batteries since we have a dual battery configuration.

Then if the wire upgrade doesn't alleviate things your next best step is either a larger alternator, or adding a third full battery like an optima yellow top.

Basically the electrical system is like the fuel system in our truck, the larger the wire/fuel line the more volume can be supplied with less pressure drop (voltage drop) and a capacitor added into the system will be close to the equivalent of a fuel bowl or the secondary filter housing versus the fuel tank, it is just a small amount of volume that if drained will take a little bit to replenish.

Hope this helps.

Great explanation. That helps me out a ton.

Now dont they make some sort of power distributor block so i can run 1 hot wire to the battery and mount the block by the amps so i dont need to run 3 wires to the battery?

Gearhead

Reaction score
Do you have room for an aux battery in the rear with a solonoid-type isolator? if so that would be the best bet. You you do that and then just run a number 4 wire up to the front.