tuned ficm

nsty 6oh

Reaction score
Simple question. Is a moderate tuned ficm really worth it money and power wise? Whats the average cost for a tuned ficm? Can I just remove mine and send it in or whats the process? Looking for a little more out of my truck and I already have a ton of mods. thanks everyone.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i got mine from swamps, it was additional $150 to get it "tuned" but not sure how much it is to just send it in to have it done

it def is worth the money to tune it i think

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
When I talked to Patrick at Swamps, he said that he didn't think tuning the FICM on a truck already running custom tuning wasn't worth it. He told me that the tuned FICM benefited stock trucks more.

chappy

Reaction score
I know I wouldn't waste time tuning a stock ficm because its just a matter of time till the solder comes loose and it craps out on you. I would only tune a swamps idm

strokin6L

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean actually tuning the FICM and not a 58V upgrade...right? Do it....and totally worth it. However Eric told me that the moderate tuned FICM is more directed to trucks running a larger injector up to 190cc. Tuning a FICM has nothing to do with the solder coming loose. I have Innovative Diesel's moderate FICM and it made a HUGE difference in throttle response. I wouldn't run a 6L without one. Total night and day difference. The IDM on a 7.3 is like the 58V upgrade on a 6L FICM...the 58v upgrade is not the same and a tuned 6L FICM...that's two totally different things. And last i knew...is that swamps only does the 58V upgrade, they don't do the actual tuning of the FICM. I talked to them and they said they send it to Innovative Diesel to have it reflashed for the tune if a person was getting both the 58v mod and getting it tuned.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
I know I wouldn't waste time tuning a stock ficm because its just a matter of time till the solder comes loose and it craps out on you. I would only tune a swamps idm

So then you can just have it fixed like Swamps does, or fix it yourself. I don't see what the tuning has to do with it? It's not like Swamps is building FICM's from the ground up, they're just repairing OEM Ford ones.

strokin6L

Reaction score
So then you can just have it fixed like Swamps does, or fix it yourself. I don't see what the tuning has to do with it? It's not like Swamps is building FICM's from the ground up, they're just repairing OEM Ford ones.

Exactly....cause tuning has nothing to do with solder coming loose. It's more due to heat and the lack of solder. Just gotta take it apart and resolder everything.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I think there is also a high performance ficm flash that Eric does, but it is more for the guys with twin turbos, or race only trucks.
I wanna get mine done again...

strokin6L

Reaction score
Yeah that's true Ivan...eric has a race flash for the FICM. I asked him when i had mine done a few years ago and he told me that the race FICM flash is more for trucks with injectors larger than 190cc. And the moderate FICM flash that i have is more directed towards trucks with a smaller injector upgrade up to 190cc.

golfer

Reaction score

partially correct.

Even our 48v (stock voltage) FICM's have over 25 upgraded/higher rated hardware components over the factory units.

Our 58v units get the upgraded hardware components, in addition, they get the voltage modification.

We tune the FICMs in house with the PHP flash (or the newest factory Ford flash)...or, upon request, we can ship the FICMs to Innovative for their tuning...

Eric is working on getting us the hardware to install his tunes here...but for now, the only performance FICM tuning options from us (tuned in house) is the PHP.

Mdub707

Reaction score
partially correct.

Even our 48v (stock voltage) FICM's have over 25 upgraded/higher rated hardware components over the factory units.

Our 58v units get the upgraded hardware components, in addition, they get the voltage modification.

We tune the FICMs in house with the PHP flash (or the newest factory Ford flash)...or, upon request, we can ship the FICMs to Innovative for their tuning...

Eric is working on getting us the hardware to install his tunes here...but for now, the only performance FICM tuning options from us (tuned in house) is the PHP.

What's the purpose of replacing all of those parts? I'm assuming the "higher rated" parts you're using on the 48V units are still usable if the customer wants to upgrade to 58V correct? Makes it easier all around to do it that way. Just curious what you were doing. The voltage modification is the easy part, changing everything out to 58V+ rated components is more work.

chappy

Reaction score
Exactly....cause tuning has nothing to do with solder coming loose. It's more due to heat and the lack of solder. Just gotta take it apart and resolder everything.

Maybe you kids need to go back and read my post one more time. I said I wouldn't waste my time paying for a tune for a stock ficm THAT WILL crap out on you. NO where did I say that a tune will cause the solder to come loose. And if you actually knew anything about swamps you would know that they do a little more then resolder. They also replace several pieces in there. If you have money to gamble on a stock ficm that will probably **** itself then good for you.
You both have the reading comprehension of a 1st grader :morons:

Last edited:

chappy

Reaction score
What's the purpose of replacing all of those parts? I'm assuming the "higher rated" parts you're using on the 48V units are still usable if the customer wants to upgrade to 58V correct? Makes it easier all around to do it that way. Just curious what you were doing. The voltage modification is the easy part, changing everything out to 58V+ rated components is more work.

What ,I thought you already knew what Swamps was doing to them. You seem so shocked that they don't just resolder them. :flipa:

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Maybe you kids need to go back and read my post one more time. I said I wouldn't waste my time paying for a tune for a stock ficm THAT WILL crap out on you. NO where did I say that a tune will cause the solder to come loose. And if you actually knew anything about swamps you would know that they do a little more then resolder. They also replace several pieces in there. If you have money to gamble on a stock ficm that will probably **** itself then good for you.
You both have the reading comprehension of a 1st grader :morons:

Easy brother. I read your post and tuning it still has nothing to do with it crapping out. For me, I can fix them on my own, so it really doesn't effect whether or not I have it tuned. If a tuned one craps out, I can fix it here myself, so for me it makes no difference. In no shape or form did I accuse you of saying it will crap out if it's tuned. What I said was it makes no difference.

I don't know what Swamps does, I know what I do, and I know what it takes to fix a plain 48V FICM. I have NO issues paying for a FICM to get tuned, because if and when it craps out, I can fix it quick on my own. You obviously don't have the capabilities to fix it yourself, so I can see why that might be an issue to you.

What ,I thought you already knew what Swamps was doing to them. You seem so shocked that they don't just resolder them. :flipa:

The way you made it sound, Swamps was doing something magical and building their own FICM's. You clearly don't understand what is done to these to fix them or upgrade them to 58Vs. You make it sound like some magical wonder process.

EDIT* I just went back and read the entire thread again. Chappy, it's quite ironic you're making fun of other guy's reading comprehension. Myself and strokin6L clearly understood what you were saying, and you clearly missed what both of us were saying. Try again.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score

Ok then....Cause what i'm getting from what you said above is that you saying "tuning a stock FICM"...means getting the stock FICM flashed with a performance tune such as PHP or ID FICM tuning not an actual SCT tune...right? So i took it as if your saying that by getting a performance FICM flash will weaken the solder. My FICM has all factory solder and factory components while running ID's moderate FICM tuning for 3 years....and still holding 48-48.5V. It was the best upgrade i ever did to my truck besides getting the SCT....so honestly, i never wasted my time and i'd do it again and wouldn't think twice and would recommend it to anyone even if they don't have a resolder job or higher rated components. I already know what swamps does...i've talked to them already a while back....nothing new.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ok then....Cause what i'm getting from what you said above is that you saying "tuning a stock FICM"...means getting the stock FICM flashed with a performance tune such as PHP or ID FICM tuning not an actual SCT tune...right? So i took it as if your saying that by getting a performance FICM flash will weaken the solder. My FICM has all factory solder and factory components while running ID's moderate FICM tuning for 3 years....and still holding 48-48.5V. It was the best upgrade i ever did to my truck besides getting the SCT....so honestly, i never wasted my time and i'd do it again and wouldn't think twice and would recommend it to anyone even if they don't have a resolder job or higher rated components. I already know what swamps does...i've talked to them already a while back....nothing new.

His original post made it sound like tuning a stock FICM was a waste, not because the "tune" would weaken the solder or anything, because he knows the stock FICM will eventually crap out, which I agree with, but for someone like him, it wouldn't make sense because he would pay for the tuning, then if it crapped out, he'd have to pay for it to be fixed again anyways, in a sense paying double. For myself, if I payed to have one tuned and it crapped out, 98% chance I could just resolder it myself and it would work fine. I think that's what he's saying....:shrug:

chappy

Reaction score
His original post made it sound like tuning a stock FICM was a waste, not because the "tune" would weaken the solder or anything, because he knows the stock FICM will eventually crap out, which I agree with, but for someone like him, it wouldn't make sense because he would pay for the tuning, then if it crapped out, he'd have to pay for it to be fixed again anyways, in a sense paying double. For myself, if I payed to have one tuned and it crapped out, 98% chance I could just resolder it myself and it would work fine. I think that's what he's saying....:shrug:

Exactly :toast:

strokin6L

Reaction score
Exactly :toast:

gotcha...i'm with ya now. This is why i think it's a good reason to monitor FICM voltage. Being that i'm still running a factory stock FICM with ID's moderate FICM tuning i can tell what the voltage is from my edge insight. If i notice an issue with the voltage and see it dropping...i'll just pull it out and just send it to swamps to have it upgraded. By doing this i wont lose my ID FICM tuning. I talked to Swamps a while back and told them i already have my FICM tuned by ID, and they told me i can send it out with it already tuned to have it upgraded even if it's weak on voltage.

Last edited: