early vs late build 2008

hokiesax

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a 2008 F-250 and I heard the late builds (job 3) were better than the early builds (job 1). I found some info about how to find the build, but not much about exactly what problems the early builds had. Does anyone have any insight? How bad are the job 1's? What about the job 2's? Also, it sounds pretty challenging to even find out which build your engine is. Any suggestions?

mhop

Reaction score
I have no idea how to figure out what kinda "job" it is, but i do know that the real early ones had alot of injector problems.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Credit for this goes to Dzchey21. I did a little recon work from that other site.

Job 1

Build dates 01-07 thru 06-07

First builds of the 08's. Lower valence in front on front bumper much shorter than later job builds.
Radiators would leak, most should be replaced under warranty by now. Also there was a recal for a venturi T to be added to keep the radiators from splitting.
TCM, early on it was thought that the transmission control module was a hold up for transmission life, but has sense been fixed by more refined trans tuning
Transmissions,Job 1 was the only model to have an external filter as well as the internal in the pan. some hard part differences like overdrive planetarys but i dont know all the details so hopefully someone can step in a clarify the changes.

Injectors had a recall for hanging open and filling the crankcase full of fuel, VIN specific recall

Job 2

Build dates 07-07 thru 12-07

Second build batches of the 08 model year

Got a bigger valence on the front bumper, said to improve mileage by 1-2 mpg.

TCM part numbers changed. Other small changes were made hopefully more can chime in with more info

Job 3 pretty much anything built in 08 was a job 3

not familiar with all the changes

2009 Job 2 added SYNC.

Last year of 3.73 gears as an option

2010s

3.55s were the highest gear ration selection

Last edited:

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Changes throughout the truck size also.
I have a Job 2 F450 with 4.88's.
They were said to stop 4.88's in Job 1, guess I have a mutt.
My brother had a Job 3, both are good trucks. Neither of us have had problems.
The only ones were each one had a radiator replaced.
I think the biggest thing on the injectors is fuel and filters. If you keep the fuel clean and the filters changed shouldnt have problems.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I suggest running a fuel additive such as Diesel Kleen to add some lubrication properties since it is becoming less and less with diesel fuel

mhop

Reaction score
I would run Stanadyne Performance Forumla. It pulls the water out of the fuel so that it cant even pass threw your filters.