95 No start

davey99ps

Reaction score
A little background on my 95, I bought the truck this past spring off of a friend who took awesome care of it. 1 owner, always had synthetic fluids, an serviced regularly, only thing mechanically wrong was cel light but the truck ran great. I bought it to use as a weekend toy, basically just something to have fun with.
A few weeks ago I picked up a set of hybrids off a member here that had really low miles. So me an a friend swapped them in, go to start the truck an its running rough. No biggie, took it for a test drive an proceeded to blow the trans about 10mi later. So had the trans built, got it back this past friday an put it back in. Start the truck up an its still running rough, so take it for another ride an its not getting any better. After 15min of driving it dies an no restart. So I towed it home an left it for the night. We tore back into it yesterday to find that my friend that helped install the injectors forgot to plug 1 in. So took care of that, put it back together, an its running great. So I decided I'd take the truck out for the night. Everything was going great, till about 45min into it. As I was coming up to a stop sign, the truck just died, no sputtering or warning just shut off. Went to restart it an nothing at first. I gave it a lil bit, tried it again, an it fired right up. So I kept goin. Went to my g/f's house for awhile then decided to go home. Truck fired up an I was on my way. Trucks runnin great, im happy, an then it just dies again without any warning. This time it wouldn't restart so I ended up towing it home. I had a little time today before work so I decided to take a look at it. The first thing i did was pull the chip an no change. When you hit the key, the wts light goes on, the tach moves while cranking, an the oil pressure gauge moves when cranking but no start. I checked the hpop res. an its full, the fuel bowl does fill up when cranking also. I unplugged the IPR an still no start, tried unplugging the icp sensor an still no start. I've checked all fuses, an made sure uvch were connected. I tried pulling codes with my friends cheap scan gauge, but didn't get anything. To me it seems like an electrical issue because of the way it just shuts off without any warning. My work schedule is really busy this week an don't have a lot of time to mess with the truck. When I have more time, I'd like to find a better scan gauge an I also wanna hook up mechanical gauges to check fuel an hpo. Do you guys have any suggestions? Sorry for the long post an bad punctuation, I'm posting from my phone at work. Thanks for any help

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
You need to get a scanner on it!

Check ICP while cranking to see what is really going on. This can be done with a mechanical gauge too, but using scanner is much easier.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Yea I kinda figured I need to get it scanned, I was just trying to make sure I wasn't overlooking something small

Tom S

Reaction score
Maybe, do you have a way to take a look at ICP then you could decide to go further that way or move on.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Any problems before the injector swap. How does it start hot and cold?

davey99ps

Reaction score
It's always had the cel on but otherwise ran fine before the injector swap. After the swap it ran great, then it died the first time wuthout warning. I let it sit for approx 10min an it started back up an ran great. Then later on it suddenly died without warning again an hasnt restarted since.

Tom S

Reaction score
Unfortunately no I don't Tom. Thats why I'm trying to rule out as many possibilities as I can before I take it in.

It is not too expensive to fab a manual gauge and it is a well worthwhile tool to have.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Are there any write-ups on that Tom? To me this seems like an electrical problem, I think its a sensor malfunctioning

davey99ps

Reaction score
I finally had some time to work on it some more this evening, after doing a bunch of research an reading old threads I decided the IPR was my best guess. I pulled it out, took it apart an cleaned it up, an now the truck runs great again. I just wanted to post what the problem was an how I fixed it in case someone else runs into this problem an happens to read this. Thanks again to everyone that gave me help an ideas on what to check, I can only imagine how much I would of been gouged had I taken it in to get fixed.