4 link vs factory radius arms

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
Hey guys looking into putting a 4 link suspension system on my truck, is it better then the factory radius arms and if so how? Ive heard a few things about them performing better but I dont know about the strength.... always figured Ford chose the radius arms for a reason, anyone know the pros and cons of each? also does anyone make a 4 link conversion that works with stock suspension/2.5 leveling kit?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
To make it work with a near stock suspension, call the manufacturers. They know what it will and won't work with. I have a Pure Performance 4 link, I have ran it almost head on into a unmovable snow bank at around 35mph or so, and all that was damaged was the steering box. I had pictures in my head of the bars being bent like a pretzel since the impact pretty much lifted the rear off the ground and spun us 180 degrees. Boosted launch with a 1.60 60ft (if I remember right) pulled straight as an arrow. This was all while an 8" lift and 37's. Hope this helps.

Jayz

Reaction score
4link is way to go. Drop brackets make radius arm kits feel loose ...ugly feeling I know went from 10in 4link to 4in drop bracket its horrible. What are u worried bout strength for? I've had custom 4link bars SLAM on rocks offroading and never really had a problem. The thicker the better of course but most kits out there aren't made outta cheap materials. Now good luck findinga kit for just a leveling kit be only seen 1 kit custom made for a memeber on another site where his was 2in LOWER then stock...the bars are just TOO LONG from any normal kit

Layson

Reaction score
The stock steering is based off of a radius arm suspension. You stick with a radius arm you are not going to have bump steer, or need extra steering stabilizers or hydro assist...

Spatel23

Reaction score
thats impressive Erik!

As to the original topic, I just ordered a set of PMF adjustable link arms so I will be able to give first hand impressions sometime in the near future.

Last edited:

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
thats impressive Erik!

As to the original topic, I just ordered a set of PMF adjustable link arms so I will be able to give first hand impressions sometime in the near future.

Can't wait to hear your review!

I wish I could give the accurate #, but I can't find them.

1.66 is the best I have ever cut, and that was lowered, with Proxes and CalTracs, and at only 7600 lbs. If I launched any harder my front end would go nuts.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Don't know what to tell you brotha. I know it was posted on the other site but I can't find it.

Jake

Reaction score
The stock steering is based off of a radius arm suspension. You stick with a radius arm you are not going to have bump steer, or need extra steering stabilizers or hydro assist...

That's not true, I built some 4 link bars for a 4" lift for a buddies 08 and there was no change in steering characteristics from the link too the radius arms. I used 2.5" 3/8" wall dom tubing, and 1/4" cold roll plate for all the brackets. He had been rough the truck and still no problems. just have to make sure the angles and alignment are correct.

Layson

Reaction score
That's not true, I built some 4 link bars for a 4" lift for a buddies 08 and there was no change in steering characteristics from the link too the radius arms. I used 2.5" 3/8" wall dom tubing, and 1/4" cold roll plate for all the brackets. He had been rough the truck and still no problems. just have to make sure the angles and alignment are correct.

The stiock steering is based off a radius arm. I did not say you couldn't build a 4 link and make it work. Most seem to not get the angles or castor correct.

Jayz

Reaction score
OP river city diesel has a 4 link kit for a leveling kit look up Jared Rice build in this months Diesel power mag

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
The stock arms act like a huge sway bar if one wheel hits a bump as the arms just don't like to move in a arch to allow the wheel to lift..4 link arms will allow movement. You need a 2.5" front lift to use Pures arms, 4.5" to use Icons. If you have a '08 up your set if a earlyer truck most don't like the extra flex..they can upgrade to a larger front sway bar. We carry both.

Cary

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
The stock arms act like a huge sway bar if one wheel hits a bump as the arms just don't like to move in a arch to allow the wheel to lift..4 link arms will allow movement. You need a 2.5" front lift to use Pures arms, 4.5" to use Icons. If you have a '08 up your set if a earlyer truck most don't like the extra flex..they can upgrade to a larger front sway bar. We carry both.

Cary

Is the 08 better because of a stiffer chassis? I was kinda thinking the radius arms might work better with the chassis because that what there designed around and the four link might have some negative effects because the chassis/body/suspension werent designed around it.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Is the 08 better because of a stiffer chassis? I was kinda thinking the radius arms might work better with the chassis because that what there designed around and the four link might have some negative effects because the chassis/body/suspension werent designed around it.

He's not saying the chassis on the 08 is stiffer. He's just saying it's got a bigger/stronger sway bar than the previous years. If you had a previous year, the sway bar is smaller/weaker so the radius arms do part of the work for them.