97 up pipe

rusty1161

Reaction score
The benefit comes from more than just the bellows. The replacement of the donuts with the steel gasket is the big change. The donuts tend to wear out quicker, especially when used with worn uppipes.

Rusty

Reaction score
You would also need the flanges/gaskets (as mentioned) and the exhaust-side turbo y-pipe (what the flanges seal to) to make it work. Cheers!

old man dave

Reaction score
You would also need the flanges/gaskets (as mentioned) and the exhaust-side turbo y-pipe (what the flanges seal to) to make it work. Cheers!

The number in the International OBS bellows kit for the exhaust side Y adaptor is the same one as the regular OBS one. It cost me $125 at the IH dealer to find that out. All of the rest of the parts to the last bolt are included in the IH kit.

Reaction score
So the bellowed up-pipes have flanges (and gaskets) that bolt up where the donut clamps go? If so, that good to know! Thanks & Cheers!

old man dave

Reaction score
So the bellowed up-pipes have flanges (and gaskets) that bolt up where the donut clamps go? If so, that good to know! Thanks & Cheers!

Yes, my buddy had no problems installing the OBS compatible kit into his truck as it was complete with everything including an instruction sheet and all fresh fasteners.

And I wound up with an extra turbo inlet y.....:joy: T444es of those years have 3 different turbo inlet Ys according to the IH parts book so I had to actually order the thing only to find out its the same as the Ford OBS casting number and all.

colobronco

Reaction score
i had an exhaust shop turn me onto these guys.

http://www.spdexhaust.com/pdfs/AccPDFs/Bellows.pdf

The "slip joint bellow" is made for high temp high pressure applications. I'm going to call them tomorrow for pricing.
Hope to get under the truck on monday after work to see where they would fit on the up pipe. I'm thinking i'll use the metal donut from bean. Unless someone thinks the Chevy one would be fine. I think i read the metal one will fit tighter on the pipe and not let it slide.

As long as i can fit them in there and not rub anything, should be alot cheaper than the $850 for the kit.

Tom S

Reaction score
I did not come across anything negative about the donuts from Bean in my reading.

newman

Reaction score
I did not come across anything negative about the donuts from Bean in my reading.

I know of 4 local trucks with problems. 2 of them have gone back to OEM donuts with better results. The other 2 are still driving with leaks:doh:

Tom S

Reaction score
I know of 4 local trucks with problems. 2 of them have gone back to OEM donuts with better results. The other 2 are still driving with leaks:doh:

Good info, I will attempt to place that into memory.

newman

Reaction score
After going through all the work of installing new up-pipes I won't do it again unless I'm installing bellowed.

JCart

Reaction score
What I have done on both my truck when they leaked was to re-shape, resize the up pipe. Have done this with a hammer and piece of steel stock in a vice. Slip the up pipe over the stock (anvil) and reshape via lightly tapping the pipe to get the scour marks (from doughnuts out). I have tried the chevy doughnuts and was a waste of time for me (without reshaping). Use a felt pen to mark around the full diameter of the up pipe and the hammering will remove marking making for an even job.

Re-shape resize such that the stock doughnuts just slide on should be a snug fit...be careful not to go too far. Just take your time. I actually used the original stock doughnuts. This has worked for me with the set up I run albeit not lotsa boost, up to 30 psi only. On the sig truck I ground off a small bit of material on the hold down clamps such that they clamp the doughnuts tighter to the intake Y housing.

On the "List" is to get used bellows from a 6.0 as I think they are the same dia up pipe. Then retro-fit the bellows to mine, just for fun.

jrc

lossscause

Reaction score

Are you saying the 4 trucks were running Bean's brass donuts? I've got a set I bought a few months ago and waiting for install.

Hope these aren't going to give me problems :doh: