97 up pipe

Strokersace

Reaction score
The SD style still has the doughnuts, least that is what I have in my shop. I thought it was the collector turbo mount that was different? So SD version is not as prone to leaking?

True, the SD still has the donuts. HOWEVER, it's a ton easier to R&R a SD turbo or the components behind it than it is on the OBS. The way the OBS turbo mounts, it's a POS to get out and back in along with getting everything apart.

SD is a piece of cake in comparison.

newman

Reaction score
Are you saying the 4 trucks were running Bean's brass donuts? I've got a set I bought a few months ago and waiting for install.

Hope these aren't going to give me problems :doh:

Yes. Maybe they will work for you but we aren't having any luck with them

Strokersace

Reaction score
I agree Tom. I've done 2 SD conversions on OBS trucks and 1 has bellows, the other doesn't. I like the bellows for the non-leak factor. The only reason the other truck doesn't have bellowed up-pipes is because it's going to get a completely different turbo setup at some point. Didn't want to drop more money into the stockish setup just to change it.

Still though, the R&R on a SD turbo setup is much quicker and easier than the OBS.

colobronco

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys.

I just finally got the up pipes out. had to pull the turbo to get them out. what a pain in the a##. Still had to do some hammering on them to get the pipes out. I wonder when i put them back in, if i'm going to have to either pull the drivers side manifold, or jack up the cab some.

time to do some priceing. very temping, with all i went thru to do the SD conversion.

newman

Reaction score
I had to drop the tranny mount to do my last set. I set the tail of the tranny on the ground to change the pipes

MossBack

Reaction score
I do recall reading that in the Ford service book to Jack the truck. Iirc it was the passenger side.

Looks like ill be doing mine again. I get about 1 year out of the Ford ones and 3 months out of the Chevy ones.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

genuineford

Reaction score
I had good luck with the Chevrolet donuts but only the ones from car quest. I tried some from other parts stores and they didn't work.

newman

Reaction score
So I called IH today and they quoted me $1200+ for the bellowed up-pipes for a OBS. HOLY SHIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! Time for a SD turbo

colobronco

Reaction score
Newman, Riff raff diesel has them listed for 800 somthing dollars.

Here's where im at: called that SPD exhaust (linked earlier in thread) and the want $185 each for the bellows. So i'm getting around $500 for the parts to build bellow pipes. After the pain of getting the turbo out, and a lot of thinking. I have the H2E upgrade kit ordered from Rocking s performance. With all the other upgrades and new parts in my truck, i think this will give me a very good truck for many, many more years.

Wish i would have made up my mind sooner, so i could have it before this weekend, but not going to work that way.

The new upgrade doesn't come with the bellow pipes, so i'll try the donuts and start making plans for future SD bellow pipes.

colobronco

Reaction score
Got the new H2E about half way in today. What a pain to get the new down pipe in. hope to get it done tomorrow.

colobronco

Reaction score
got the truck done last night. sure runs nice. wasn't a huge increase but spools up faster. I think the EGT's have come down. getting ready to make a trip and see how it does. it was a lot of work to get it in. had to build and modify the inter cooler pipes to fit. The pipes it cam with must be for a supper duty, cause there was now way they were going to work. but were useful for the bends to put into my old pipes.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
So you cured your donut prob by scrapping the whole jackpot! LOL That's 1 way.

I just did my donuts. You can remove everything and replace w/o removing anything but the pass side inner fender. It took me a while because I was trying not to break the Y bolts. I failed and spent extra time extracting those and repairing the Y. The actual removal and reinstalled is easy except for the V-band clamp, thats a b!tch! I used the Fel-Pro blue soft thick donuts in 2 1/16th" and the clamped nicely w/o any mods. Now that the whole thing is done I find that the ticking was in the drivers side manifold all along :doh:

newman

Reaction score
Did you have to change one of your exhaust manifolds to go with the H2E? I'm surprised it doesn't come with bellowed up-pipes.

The H2E spools faster than a stock OBS turbo???

colobronco

Reaction score
so far very happy with the new turbo. I didn't have to change the manifolds out. I'm kinda suprized that you don't at least have a choice for bellows or not, i know there isn't much room, so maybe it would be hard to install. I was tight, and didn't pay much attention if the could be added.
I think it spools quicker, and the boost is higher. but i was coming from leaking up pipes to this.
I got the kit from Rocky (rockin s performance) and he said i may need to upgrade the valve body on the transmission, that will be next. i got the BTS trans from him so hope i can either swap out with him or have BTS change mine, up. just some springs and balls. :).

Latest posts

Members online