whos done cab on head gaskets with studs?

Jayz

Reaction score
Just as I asked above, who's done it and how much more involved then just studs 1 @ a time? I've read the write up of cab on studs 1 @ a time, but nothing about head gaskets cab on. thanx in advance guys!!

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
I didn't think people ever did studs one at a time. I thought as long as you break a head loose, you'll need a gasket.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
no sir EVERY1 takes to dealer has new HG put on then does studs 1 @ a time

Sorry I'm a little confused, your saying you take it to the dealer for gaskets and bolts, then when you get it back you take each bolt out and replace it with a stud? So that you have new gaskets with no miles on them and also studs?

At first I thought you were saying with the cab on that you never remove the heads and just replace each bolt with a stud one at a time.

speedracer1000

Reaction score
ive done hg's with cab on. i dont remove the heater box either.. when u pull the drivers side head off just unbolt the drivers side motor mount. jack up on the back corner of the block to get the mount out. and let the engine kinda roll down, it gives you enough room to get the head off.. works nice

Jayz

Reaction score
Sorry I'm a little confused, your saying you take it to the dealer for gaskets and bolts, then when you get it back you take each bolt out and replace it with a stud? So that you have new gaskets with no miles on them and also studs?

At first I thought you were saying with the cab on that you never remove the heads and just replace each bolt with a stud one at a time.

Yes that's what most people DO ...I'm to far past stock to take mine to dealer even though I'm still under warranty

Jayz

Reaction score
ive done hg's with cab on. i dont remove the heater box either.. when u pull the drivers side head off just unbolt the drivers side motor mount. jack up on the back corner of the block to get the mount out. and let the engine kinda roll down, it gives you enough room to get the head off.. works nice

On a 6.4?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Yes that's what most people DO ...I'm to far past stock to take mine to dealer even though I'm still under warranty

I've never heard of anyone doing it that way. Mike Dillehay did it at low mileage and figured his gaskets were still good, and they were. Most people just have the dealer install studs under warranty. If not, they either go to a qualified shop or attempt them one at a time and hope. Very few people have tried one at time, at least here on the forums, and Shane is the only person I know of that has done cab on gaskets and studs.

EvilTwins

Reaction score
Having done this project both cab on (studs only) and cab off (studs and gaskets) i'm not sure that I would feel comfortable pulling this thing apart to do gaskets and studs with the cab on. I know WhiteMonster has done it repeatedly and had good success, but being hunched over, upside down, and elbows deep, for that period of time just seems to be a recipe for frustration and errors.

I know it seems a little extreme but I added a 20x20 addition on to my garage and put in a two post lift, basically to do this type of work on my own truck safely and with as few errors as possible. Especially since when I did the gaskets last time, I rushed it and didn't have the heads machined, which left me with another leaky coolant factory. Do it once, do it right, and take your time......dad was right,,,,,,again.

This took me about a month of weekends and one or two weekdays. I wound up spending about as much as I would have paid to either rent a bay for the proper period of time or paid a tech to do it. I Laos took me out of the modding game (financially) for six months or so, but now I just gotta play catch up.

cw48es

BFT

Reaction score
Having done this project both cab on (studs only) and cab off (studs and gaskets) i'm not sure that I would feel comfortable pulling this thing apart to do gaskets and studs with the cab on. I know WhiteMonster has done it repeatedly and had good success, but being hunched over, upside down, and elbows deep, for that period of time just seems to be a recipe for frustration and errors.

I know it seems a little extreme but I added a 20x20 addition on to my garage and put in a two post lift, basically to do this type of work on my own truck safely and with as few errors as possible. Especially since when I did the gaskets last time, I rushed it and didn't have the heads machined, which left me with another leaky coolant factory. Do it once, do it right, and take your time......dad was right,,,,,,again.

This took me about a month of weekends and one or two weekdays. I wound up spending about as much as I would have paid to either rent a bay for the proper period of time or paid a tech to do it. I Laos took me out of the modding game (financially) for six months or so, but now I just gotta play catch up.

cw48es

that can be WELL worth the money if space is available. you can often find them farely priced.

shane needs one of these in his garageLOL

EvilTwins

Reaction score
Rob I use the driveway actually, or if a friend has a garage.

Did my stud swap in the driveway, under an easy up tent......It rained the entire time. Just a horrible experience. Sometimes we suffer for our passions.

Tools required. This truck fits in my garage so Im going to give a go at home.

I used a jack handle over a snap on 1/2 drive ratchet. It flexed a lot, but held up. It was easier with the hood removed.