What gears?

Cowboy Cadillac

Reaction score
I currently have a 05 ccsb f250 with stock gearing. I am currently running 35x12.50 Cooper ST and was wondering if a gearing change would help out the truck any? It is normally a daily driver and toy hauler (horse trailer, boat, tractor, or camper) on the weekends. I am looking at going back to 37's when it is time for the next tire swap also. Would new gearing help me at all?

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
If you're going 37" I'd say 4.10s but with just 35" 3.73s work well not worth the money for the swap.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd keep the 3.73's... I had a few buddies who ran 37's and stayed with stock gearing. Both were CC/SB trucks, and both auto. Have another buddy pushing 40's, he had 4.56's in, and took them out in favor of the 3.73's as well. He said the 4.10's would probably be the best choice for those tires, but between the 4.56's and the 3.73's he likes the 3.73's better. He still tows on occasion too.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I had an 04 F350 SRW with 35's. Truck was a daily for a while but mainly a tow vehicle for the trailer. THe problem with 3.73's or lower gear in these truck I feel is it is hard on the drive train. Dont have a big mechanical advantage to get stuff moving. This doesnt seem like a huge problem with diesels because of the torque.
I went to 4.56's with 35's and liked it. It pulled much better, no more being between gears. Now if I didnt tow I would have stayed with 3.73's because of the cost of gears and such I would have not got the benefit out of them.
With 35's to around 38's and daily driver with some light towing I would install 4.30's.
If towing often and it is a lot of weight I would install 4.56's.
Then if larger than 40's, 4.56's and 4.88's.
I would figure out what RPM you want to run at on the freeway and find a calculator to figure out the gear that works best for you.
But then again it is your truck and what works for you wont work for most.

Betarocker

Reaction score
I run 4.10 gears with my 37" tires. I have a manual transmission so my experiences might differ to those with automatics. I find my gearing to be perfect. When towing, I have the Low gear to get me started, which I don't think the automatics have. Otherwise first gear is fine.

As to the cost issue, if you don't regear, you can run the risk of damaging or prematurely wearing out the transmission. You will be paying somewhere along the way.
I exploded my limited slip differential, so I needed to do something. I upgraded to ARB air locker, and when I decided to go to 4.10s, I opened the front and did that too, also with an ARB.

Just a FYI, if you decide to regear, replace seals and bearings which would require the removal of the differentials.

Members online

No members online now.