synthetic trans fluid.

Strokethis73

Reaction score
stock 5r110. looking to switch over to full synthetic trans fluid. any pros or cons i need to be looking for? or is this a no no is a stock tranny?

Zmann

Reaction score
Not Me

OP the OEM fill is synthetic in the Mercon SP or LV

only a few other brands are supposed to meet the requirements

so I play it safe and use Fords Mercon

Strokethis73

Reaction score
I had one specific fluid in mind, which I've had really good luck with running in my BTS trans in my 95. Which is Allisons Transynd. Ill have to do some reading on it to see what their ratings or requirements are.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
I have filters and a go go solinoid ready to go in but I'm debating what fluid to use. Some people were telling me to use regular atf..

Mdub707

Reaction score
Some people have no idea about what they say. They just say things to hear themselves talk.

And the point of this post???

Just out of curiosity, when you were working at Ford, how many other trans fluids did you try out? Or did Ford just develop their own specifically for this application?

Zmann

Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, when you were working at Ford, how many other trans fluids did you try out? Or did Ford just develop their own specifically for this application?

Some people were telling me to use regular atf.

Regular ATF and the Synthetic Mercon sp /lv have known different lubricity values among other things I would imagine

the solenoids in a 5R are very sensitive unlike a 4R valve body
so to chuck some untested fluid like
Lubrication Engineers 1150. Best on the market, period!
that isn't even recommended By LE as a substitute for Mercon SP/LV

has got to Be the worst plan I have heard of

Zmann

Reaction score
5 years ago Smokey the Mod posted this Quote

and the only changes I can figure is Valvoline,Amsoil,and I think redline or Shaffers have fluid they claim is ok to use in SP/LV applications

From what I recall SP was to cure the Shutter AKA Shutter Proof =SP so Mark would have to verify that acronym but the shutter was the first thing I see people comment on when the wrong fluid is used

The answer is at the bottom of that report to which OT linked:
"...The biggest differences between SP and the two older Mercon specs are the viscosity requirements. SP requires a kinematic viscosity of 5.5 to 6 square millimeters per second at 100 degrees C, compared to a minimum of 6.8 for both Mercon and Mercon V. SP also has more stringent requirements for cold-temperature Brookfield viscosity.

Infineum’s Richard said the viscosity and shear stability requirements of SP will drive formulators to use Group III and partial synthetic base stocks, compared to Mercon and Mercon V, which can be formulated with Group I and Group II base stocks, respectively. "

So that means that SP requires synthetic or semi-synthetic ingredients, while Mercon and Mercon V can get by with using dino ingredients.

If that's too technical for you, then use expensive Mercon SP in your TorqShift tranny because Mark Kovalsky, DieselStop member who helped develop the TorqShift tranny, said you'll be buying a new tranny real soon now if you try to use something cheaper.

bboteler

Reaction score
I'm an amsoil dealer and I didn't use the old amsoil atf that was supposed to be recommended because I was afraid of roasting my tranny. Now the new stuff, that will prob be going in mine on the next change. But I will be testing it myself before I recommend it to any one that buys from me.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score

None. Why would I try out other fluids? What would be the point? MERCON SP was developed specifically for the 5R110.

In your honest opinion, would you stick with the Ford Mercon factory reccomnded fluid?
Yes, I would only use the recommended fluid in ANY transmission. The 5R110 requires either MERCON SP or MERCON LV.

and the only changes I can figure is Valvoline,Amsoil,and I think redline or Shaffers have fluid they claim is ok to use in SP/LV applications

From what I recall SP was to cure the Shutter AKA Shutter Proof =SP so Mark would have to verify that acronym but the shutter was the first thing I see people comment on when the wrong fluid is used
MERCON V was developed to eliminate shudder in the 4R70W transmission. THe 5R110 never had a shudder problem, and MERCON SP was developed specifically for the 5R110. I don't know why it was named SP.

Zmann

Reaction score
I pulled some data sheets and the Mercon v has A higher viscosity than sp/lv

Zmann

Reaction score
Thanks for the real info Mark
the net is full of the SP = Shudder resistant info from Bob the oil guy to other sites ( funny sp and lv mention shudder ?)
LV was supposedly "Low Viscosity

MERCON® SP Automatic Transmission Fluid

Motorcraft® MERCON® SP is a premium-quality fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company specifically for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® SP type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Check Owner’s Guide or Workshop Manual for correct applications
Motorcraft® MERCON® SP is manufactured with premium base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, excellent thermal and oxidation resistance. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also provides protection against rust and corrosion. MERCON® SP is friction modified for smooth transmission operation while guarding against transmission shudder
Do not use in transmissions requiring MERCON® V, MERCON® LV, Continously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid, or Type F Fluid
Refer to the Motorcraft® MERCON® SP specification sheet at www.motorcraft.com and www.fmcdealer.dealerconnection.com for additional information. For MSDS information call 1-800-448-2063

MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® LV type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Check Owner Guide and transmission fluid charts for application
Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures and guards against transmission shudder. This fluid has excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also prevents against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak detection
Do not use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP (exceptTorqShift®), Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended, or in transfer cases
MERCON® V Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid

Motorcraft® MERCON® V is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require either MERCON® V or MERCON® type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
Motorcraft® MERCON® V is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, excellent thermal and oxidation resistance and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also provides protection against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak detection
Do not use in applications where MERCON® SP, MERCON® LV, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
Do not use in transfer cases where MERCON® ATF was previously recommended
Motorcraft® MERCON® V is suitable for use as a hydraulic oil in a wide variety of industrial applications that call for an ISO 46 or SAE 20W viscosity grade hydraulic oil

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
In your honest opinion, would you stick with the Ford Mercon factory reccomnded fluid?

Of course he's going to recommend the Ford stuff...

Good post!

None. Why would I try out other fluids? What would be the point? MERCON SP was developed specifically for the 5R110.

Yes, I would only use the recommended fluid in ANY transmission. The 5R110 requires either MERCON SP or MERCON LV.

MERCON V was developed to eliminate shudder in the 4R70W transmission. THe 5R110 never had a shudder problem, and MERCON SP was developed specifically for the 5R110. I don't know why it was named SP.

I understand your reasons for voting for the SP/LV, but are you so set in stone with that, that you're against using anything else, even if it meets requirements? Maybe SP/LV isn't easy to get for everyone. Maybe they don't have a Ford dealer right near them. What if someone has a leak on the road and needs some for an emergency. Things happen. I'm certainly not suggesting people don't use the Ford branded stuff, but it's not always feasible for everyone. I'm all for using the recommended fluids, but if you haven't tried or even looked at anything else, how can one know it wont work?

What about engine oil? Should we all be using motorcraft engine oil?

One other question, if SP was SPECIFICALLY designed for the 5R110, why the switch to LV then?

MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is a premium-quality automatic transmission fluid recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® LV type fluid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Check Owner Guide and transmission fluid charts for application
Motorcraft® MERCON® LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures and guards against transmission shudder. This fluid has excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also prevents against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak detection
Do not use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP (exceptTorqShift®), Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended, or in transfer cases

Does that not bother anyone else? All of a sudden it's ok to use now?

Guys, just to clear this out, I'm sort of playing "devils advocate" here... I'm running Mercon LV right now.

Mark, I appreciate the input. Sometimes I just like to hear more info other than "because Mark says so" know what I mean?

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.