synthetic trans fluid.

Zmann

Reaction score
Agreed LV was not approved for the SP until later ( I am surprised they haven't updated their site)

I run LV and the 5r110w in pan filter since that combo has a much longer service interval

not that I will extend mine that far but there must be something better about the combo ?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Of course he's going to recommend the Ford stuff...
I don't think I have EVER recommended only running the Ford stuff. I always recommend running the recommended fluid. For the 5R110 that fluid is MERCON SP or MERCON LV.

Does that say to you only run the Ford fluid? It doesn't to me. There are other fluids that have a MERCON SP rating that are not Ford fluids. I've used them, they work fine. I have not yet seen anyone else with a MERCON LV, but that may be because I haven't looked.

I understand your reasons for voting for the SP/LV,
No, you do not understand my reasons.

It has nothing to do with loyalty for Ford. It is because the solenoids in the 5R110 are VERY sensitive to fluids, and additives in some fluids will destroy the solenoids.
but are you so set in stone with that, that you're against using anything else, even if it meets requirements? Maybe SP/LV isn't easy to get for everyone. Maybe they don't have a Ford dealer right near them. What if someone has a leak on the road and needs some for an emergency. Things happen.
I'm sure the solenoids will understand if MERCON SP or LV is not readily available and not get themselves destroyed if the wrong fluid ends up in there. [/sarcasm]

I'm certainly not suggesting people don't use the Ford branded stuff, but it's not always feasible for everyone.
I'm certainly not suggesting people only use the Ford branded fluid. Maybe we are arguing the same side of the argument?

I'm all for using the recommended fluids, but if you haven't tried or even looked at anything else, how can one know it wont work?
Because I know certain additives are not compatible with the solenoids. Do you want to run a development program to test every fluid to see if they damage the solenoids?

What about engine oil? Should we all be using motorcraft engine oil?
I NEVER stated that anyone should only run Motorcraft fluids. Now you're just putting words in my keyboard.

You should only run engine oils that meet the viscosity specified AND the duty ratings as recommended by Ford. Motorcraft sells those oils, and so do many, many other companies.

As an FYI, I rarely use Motorcraft fluids. If they are on sale an equal price to other name brands that meet the same specs I will, but I will not pay extra for Motorcraft fluids.

One other question, if SP was SPECIFICALLY designed for the 5R110, why the switch to LV then?
I can only speculate as I left Ford before this happened. I suspect that MERCON LV was developed for the next generation of automatics, and it was decided to make it backwards compatible with MERCON SP so that SP could be eliminated. That would save Ford a lot of money.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Mark,

You're absolutely right... major brain fart on my part. I confused MERCON for MOTORCRAFT LOL my bad. I really need to slow down and read more sometimes.

Thanks for the clarification regardless.

You say you know certain additives are not compatible with the solenoids, could you elaborate on that more?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
You say you know certain additives are not compatible with the solenoids, could you elaborate on that more?
One that I know for sure is the anti-foam additive that is used in many MERCON V products. It is actually very, very, very small pellets. They are just small enough to fit between the spool valve and cylinder inside the solenoid. This will jam the solenoid. Then you need a new solenoids. And good luck ever flushing all of that out of there if you ever get MERCON V in the trans.

Older transmissions (4R70W,, 4R100, etc.) that use MERCON V have solenoids, too. Why can they use MERCON V? Those solenoids did not have the very small clearances that the 5R110 solenoids have. Those solenoids will not be affected by the anti-foam particles in the fluid.

There probably are other additives that will cause problems, but I don't know them. Transmission fluids are VERY specialized fluids. Running a fluid that doesn't meet the manufacturer's specs is just asking for expen$ive transmission problems.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Mark. Sounds like the solenoids in the trans and the spool valves in the injectors have a lot in common...

Zmann

Reaction score
There are other fluids that have a MERCON SP rating that are not Ford fluids. I've used them, they work fine. I have not yet seen anyone else with a MERCON LV, but that may be because I haven't looked.
Valvoline High Mileage Dex/Merc states theirs is OK

Overview

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

Zmann

Reaction score
I used it before it said SP because their website stated it was OK

but I actually called them for verification

they were working on the New labels

yannie

Reaction score
Good thread! But slightly cryptic, so any oil that meets mercon sp is usable. Or just use the valvolinedex/merc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts