New Harley Build Advice Needed

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Awesome that’s good knowledge. Thank you! The front crank seal was brand new, so it shocked me that it leaked so fast. But definitely wish I knew about that the first time around!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem sir, id probably also change out the glow plug harnesses while youre there. The passenger side one looks like ****...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Roccafellas

Reaction score
No problem sir, id probably also change out the glow plug harnesses while youre there. The passenger side one looks like ****...

Yeah I know haha, it was new too, I’ll be making a parts list and I’ll post it up, check back and give me some input on if I’m on the right track.. Please and thanks! Always good to have a lot of feedback. I know a 6.4 will never “last” I just want a little bit more life out of it for at least more than 2 years lol

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah I know haha, it was new too, I’ll be making a parts list and I’ll post it up, check back and give me some input on if I’m on the right track.. Please and thanks! Always good to have a lot of feedback. I know a 6.4 will never “last” I just want a little bit more life out of it for at least more than 2 years lol

Yes sir, no problem. As much of an ass sootie can seem, he knows his **** on these. He would be one of the guys on here id be listening to about aftermarket stuff on them. Ive mostly done stockish stuff being at the dealer for so long.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Yes sir, no problem. As much of an ass sootie can seem, he knows his **** on these. He would be one of the guys on here id be listening to about aftermarket stuff on them. Ive mostly done stockish stuff being at the dealer for so long.

...I hope you two are still friends after that! Lol JK.. I only really follow a couple guys and he’s definitely one of them..for sure.. nice to know that theres a lot of helping hands.. honestly this forums helped out BIG TIME.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
...I hope you two are still friends after that! Lol JK.. I only really follow a couple guys and he’s definitely one of them..for sure.. nice to know that theres a lot of helping hands.. honestly this forums helped out BIG TIME.

Lol, he says a lot of stuff id find coming out of my mouth, I just imagine with him it smells like maple syrup and has quite a few more ehs ending sentences...

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Lol, he says a lot of stuff id find coming out of my mouth, I just imagine with him it smells like maple syrup and has quite a few more ehs ending sentences...

Lol I’m From Canada too...Eh...

Roccafellas

Reaction score
So I took the heads off today. A few things

To start the ARP 2000 studs that were put in by the machine shop.. are CHIT.. half of them I couldn’t get out of the block even with my hex/Allen head on a 3/8 rachet with a pipe extender.. I broke the tip off in one, and tried to get it out and ruined that one stud now I need a whole new set of studs unless someone has 1 stud to sell.. I’m so P’d about that..

Did they really over torque it? Or is this common. Half of them I could turn by hand, half were so stuck in there.. I know it says hand tight and some guys zip it down.. but jesus.. that was tight!!! Also, there was a lot of oil on those studs.. I cleaned everything up before taking the heads off and I know oil didn’t fall into those holes.. is this a sign of a cracked block? All the oil in the stud holes? Like I’d take them out and they would be smothered in oil.. is this normal?

1.) the injector tips have an awful lot of carbon and what causes that? Big PW tunes?

2.) the number 1 glow plug, was so hard to get out. I get it out and it’s covered in dirt..mud.. WTF? I remember putting it in and it wasn’t like that lol. What on earth causes that and why would it of bent? Is something inside the head breaking down?

3.) the piston tops are also full of carbon.. how do I remove it without removing the ceramic coating? Also what causes that?

4.) the cylinder walls have some scoring that’s light but I can feel it with the tip of my mini flat head screwdriver.. causes? Rings not gapped right? Is this a big deal? And can it just get a re hone?

5.) THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE.. my issue was blowing coolant like crazy, I think I saw a couple small small cracks in the valve seats I can’t tell (I’m bringing to a machine shop to flux them) WHERE does anyone see any signs of a bad HG.. this is my first time having this issue and not a professional so can someone with experience tell me where it looks blown.. tbh.. I was really hoping to see a wore out section...

The head gasket was actual cracked in half, where the push rods go through.. as if it was cut with a pair of side cutters.. what causes that? But that area is not in the combustion chamber so I doubt it has anything to do with the blowing coolant correct??

Please and thanks. And also anything else you see.. thanks!

b01d753a12ab266b2359b04af329d42a.jpg

2bf21d7fa82057cb54ffb05ad8c120c0.jpg

9ab588ef83556689b09f3b521bddffde.jpg

3a83638d89c2d7fcc4ae79845d0c42ae.jpg

66fd49738b86d5d19233a0144341743c.jpg

c2f4c63c7cea6cea77cec42d683773a3.jpg

f915ad83d6f727db51ff1c8aaa911386.jpg

c123b93c435207ddac6d6fca8ab376f3.jpg

74eeab41dab222ff86a7bc38735c60a8.jpg

59ddf1d45a30e826e2db974fa57ed78e.jpg

Last edited:

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Heads are off at the machine shop,

Purchased a set of A-1 H11 Studs from from No Limit Diesel, awesome deal, thanks Jeff.

And a Coolant filter, Odawg Intake and Oem oil cooler from Rudys, Thanks Randall and Zack. And Congrats on the Baby Boy Randall!

FourEyed

Reaction score
Looks good. Having just rebuilt mine a month ago I feel the pain.

Had I listened to sootie on my build even after having a "pro" check it out, I would have saved $4k in doing things twice...

I'm curious how your heads check out. I was surprised mine had to be completely re-done after putting 30k on a rebuild.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Looks good. Having just rebuilt mine a month ago I feel the pain.

Had I listened to sootie on my build even after having a "pro" check it out, I would have saved $4k in doing things twice...

I'm curious how your heads check out. I was surprised mine had to be completely re-done after putting 30k on a rebuild.

What would you of done differently? Or twice as you say? And me too. Sootie is the ****!

FourEyed

Reaction score
I have a bit different setup.. stage 2 cam that the mfg says should work without valve reliefs in the pistons. Turns out it won't work, and he was the one that told me about it while the engine was on the stand. I didn't listen. I paid for it.

Other than that it seems you are in good hands with Shane. Wish I had the $ to get into one of his custom turbo setups.

Sixfoh

Reaction score
Well that makes me feel glad I went with the valve reliefs in my pistons! I was so nervous so the few extra bucks was just security. Also running a stage 2 cam

Roccafellas

Reaction score
I have a bit different setup.. stage 2 cam that the mfg says should work without valve reliefs in the pistons. Turns out it won't work, and he was the one that told me about it while the engine was on the stand. I didn't listen. I paid for it.

Other than that it seems you are in good hands with Shane. Wish I had the $ to get into one of his custom turbo setups.

Lessons learned right? I hope your build runs good. I’ll let you know about the heads.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
ODAWGS intake just came in, along with the H11 Studs, and all new gaskets top to bottom.
This is going to be fun!!! Love the products
Shout out to Rudy’s and No Limit!
9608eff8e4ba78cb9fa9f74313626cf6.jpg

ec20d8a44ea25d20c044e99eb0ef82a6.jpg

Roccafellas

Reaction score
So I pulled the bed plate off to re seal it. Super upset with how my Mahle Clevite bearings look. Only have 35,000km on them. They were new in the dynamic diesel stage 1 kit I got. And I’m really hoping the machine shop that built it before used a lot of lube.
Super upset now I have to do a lot more work that I don’t have time for, and wasn’t expecting to get this deep.

New main bearings on the way I guess lol..
d5457c80d33807608d45f81f08e14c54.jpg

6402caf31de96bf9290d605ef30c9be5.jpg

f57aaa5598122c53f24d21189ce65b41.jpg

c6700045f99de46d819c9bfef83b4dd5.jpg

1451e5581c27a36fd607f822751828ce.jpg

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So I pulled the bed plate off to re seal it. Super upset with how my Mahle Clevite bearings look. Only have 35,000km on them. They were new in the dynamic diesel stage 1 kit I got. And I’m really hoping the machine shop that built it before used a lot of lube.
Super upset now I have to do a lot more work that I don’t have time for, and wasn’t expecting to get this deep.

New main bearings on the way I guess lol..
d5457c80d33807608d45f81f08e14c54.jpg

6402caf31de96bf9290d605ef30c9be5.jpg

f57aaa5598122c53f24d21189ce65b41.jpg

c6700045f99de46d819c9bfef83b4dd5.jpg

1451e5581c27a36fd607f822751828ce.jpg

Damn, those look like **** for pretty much no miles. Youre not running bedplate studs, are you? And do you know if the machine shop align honed the mains? If they did, and you are running studs in it, the studs need to be I stalled when align honing, as they distort the main bore slightly.

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Damn, those look like **** for pretty much no miles. Youre not running bedplate studs, are you? And do you know if the machine shop align honed the mains? If they did, and you are running studs in it, the studs need to be I stalled when align honing, as they distort the main bore slightly.

No bed plate studs and no was not line honed.. and yeah I figured they look like crap..

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
No bed plate studs and no was not line honed.. and yeah I figured they look like crap..

Probably definitely get it line honed this time, or at least checked.

35k km is what about 20k miles? Ive pulled 200k bearings out that look better than that...

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Probably definitely get it line honed this time, or at least checked.

35k km is what about 20k miles? Ive pulled 200k bearings out that look better than that...

I don’t think my machine shop is capable.. can I just throw in new std bearings?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I don’t think my machine shop is capable.. can I just throw in new std bearings?

You can, but with the way those look like they're worn, its only gonna be a matter of time fore they catastrophically fail.