Industrial injection phatshaft turbo

Stroked777

Reaction score
I been looking at turbo setups for a while until I looked at the phat shaft turbo from industrial injection, anybody run this turbo? It doesn't seem like not a bad price at $2600 and still claims its good for 750hp

3brorce

Reaction score
I assume you are talking about the 58/71 compound setup. I have also been looking into those for the price.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah that's the one. Basically the same and EDE but just 1mm smaller Vgt and its 1100 less, someone said the elite setup uses brand new turbos

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
We sell and install Industrial Injections turbos. The 57/71 set up is good for 650HP on stock fuel with about a 150 degree drop in EGT's over the stock turbos. I'm sure with some added fuel 750 would be withen reach with those turbos. They are reman and modified stock turbos, but we've had zero issues with any of the sets we've installed.

one2nine

Reaction score
I can't speak from experience personally but after seeing a few of my friend's II turbos fail I'd be skeptical. Not to say that these compounds are a bad product but when I see multiple turbos fail it raises red flags. Keep an eye out as I imagine some of the 71mm atmo's will be popping up used due to the 72mm coming out in the last few months. I ended up just selling my 71mm.

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
I've been running industrial turbs for 2 years haven't haven had a single issue.
Stock fuel, EGT'S don't get much above 1450 and spool comparable to stock.
Dyno around 630 with 300 HD tune, still waiting to Dyno with gearhead files

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I would like to give some unbiased info for you on the 6.4 turbos. I know unbiased seems pretty strange from a vendor but we wanted to know what was the best 71 turbo out there, or combo set for that matter, so we tested a bunch so we would know where we stood with the competition.

The Industrial turbos use a 71mm K31 compressor wheel in the low pressure side. K31 refers to the original turbo this compressor wheel came in. The atmosphere turbo is what produces the greatest amount of your power and egt gains. An upgraded High Pressure VGT does offer gains, just not as great as the low pressure gains.

We originally used the same compressor wheel in our first run of Tow-Powers, as it was the best option at the time. We work with Precision Turbo and they were testing the K31 wheel and installed it in a low pressure turbo for us. It made good power. At that point, Precision decided to make a better 71 wheel using the K31 compressor wheel as the starting point. Once the new 71 wheel was ready we began using it.

Here is a dyno graph of a bunch of atmosphere turbos with different compressor wheels. As you can see the II version (71 k31) is really pretty strong but is 15 hp less than the our 71mm Tow-Power turbo across the dyno curve. The II compressor wheel is listed as "Wayne K31". The K31 wheel also does not drop EGT's as much as our current 71 wheel.

attachment.php

So as you can see the II version is pretty strong but not as strong as our current Tow-Power turbo.

Adding a our cast 59mm gives about another 10 hp. So going by our dyno chart and adding 10hp puts you right at 650hp. The II VGT is a 58mm, so there is a few hp loss compared to our 59, so the II set should do just shy of 650hp.

Now here is where the options go.

1) You can buy a set of II turbos.

2) If you don't need a new VGT, you can buy our Tow-Power atmosphere turbo for less money than option #1 and make just a hair more power. (What most guys do). http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002010/Tow-power-Atmosphere-Turbo/

3) If you don't need a new VGT, you can buy our Tow-Power + atmosphere turbo for less money than option #1 and make more power than option #1 or 2. http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002009/Tow-power-Plus-Atmosphere-Turbo/

4) If you do need a VGT we offer a complete set of turbos called the Torque-Tow turbos (Will mentioned these earlier in the thread). These turbos are cheaper than the II set and will make about 20hp more than the II set. http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002007/Torque-Tow-Compounds/

5) If you want an equivalent turbo to the Industrial atmosphere 71, check out this turbo we have for sale. http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002014-2/64-Atmosphere-Turbo-71mm/

All of these options are in stock.

Tadd

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I would like to give some unbiased info for you on the 6.4 turbos. I know unbiased seems pretty strange from a vendor but we wanted to know what was the best 71 turbo out there, or combo set for that matter, so we tested a bunch so we would know where we stood with the competition.

The Industrial turbos use a 71mm K31 compressor wheel in the low pressure side. K31 refers to the original turbo this compressor wheel came in. The atmosphere turbo is what produces the greatest amount of your power and egt gains. An upgraded High Pressure VGT does offer gains, just not as great as the low pressure gains.

We originally used the same compressor wheel in our first run of Tow-Powers, as it was the best option at the time. We work with Precision Turbo and they were testing the K31 wheel and installed it in a low pressure turbo for us. It made good power. At that point, Precision decided to make a better 71 wheel using the K31 compressor wheel as the starting point. Once the new 71 wheel was ready we began using it.

Here is a dyno graph of a bunch of atmosphere turbos with different compressor wheels. As you can see the II version (71 k31) is really pretty strong but is 15 hp less than the our 71mm Tow-Power turbo across the dyno curve. The II compressor wheel is listed as "Wayne K31". The K31 wheel also does not drop EGT's as much as our current 71 wheel.

attachment.php

So as you can see the II version is pretty strong but not as strong as our current Tow-Power turbo.

Adding a our cast 59mm gives about another 10 hp. So going by our dyno chart and adding 10hp puts you right at 650hp. The II VGT is a 58mm, so there is a few hp loss compared to our 59, so the II set should do just shy of 650hp.

2) If you don't need a new VGT, you can buy our Tow-Power atmosphere turbo for less money than option #1 and make just a hair more power. (What most guys do). http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002010/Tow-power-Atmosphere-Turbo/

3) If you don't need a new VGT, you can buy our Tow-Power + atmosphere turbo for less money than option #1 and make more power than option #1 or 2. http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002009/Tow-power-Plus-Atmosphere-Turbo/

4) If you do need a VGT we offer a complete set of turbos called the Torque-Tow turbos (Will mentioned these earlier in the thread). These turbos are cheaper than the II set and will make about 20hp more than the II set. http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002007/Torque-Tow-Compounds/

5) If you want an equivalent turbo to the Industrial atmosphere 71, check out this turbo we have for sale. http://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14002014-2/64-Atmosphere-Turbo-71mm/

Tadd

Well put, think that should make his choice pretty damn easy! I killed my II turbos way too easily back in the day, and the machining on the inside of the low pressure compressor cover was pathetic and sloppy. I wouldnt sell another set, and havent since

Jared

Stroked777

Reaction score
I can't speak from experience personally but after seeing a few of my friend's II turbos fail I'd be skeptical. Not to say that these compounds are a bad product but when I see multiple turbos fail it raises red flags. Keep an eye out as I imagine some of the 71mm atmo's will be popping up used due to the 72mm coming out in the last few months. I ended up just selling my 71mm.

i havent heard any horror stories about the II turbos but my buy with a 6.0 just bought a brand new Elite powermax ssx i believe its called for his 6.0 and it grenaded within 800 miles, and he doesnt beat the truck at all, cuz i was gunna go with elites tow power pluses but then i started lookign arounf again after it happened to my friend

Stroked777

Reaction score

attachment.php

Tadd

thanks alot for the info, someone told me in here i believe that if you run the stock VGT turbo with like a 71 or 72 that it would actually hurt performance, my original intent was to run you atmo 72.4 until i heard this and figured i might as well do both, but maybe ill just go with a 72.4 atmo and keep the stock vgt for now

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
i havent heard any horror stories about the II turbos but my buy with a 6.0 just bought a brand new Elite powermax ssx i believe its called for his 6.0 and it grenaded within 800 miles, and he doesnt beat the truck at all, cuz i was gunna go with elites tow power pluses but then i started lookign arounf again after it happened to my friend

We have had a balancing issue on some of our SSX's that we didn't actually figure out until today. It has been a hit or miss scenario but I understand where you are coming from.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
thanks alot for the info, someone told me in here i believe that if you run the stock VGT turbo with like a 71 or 72 that it would actually hurt performance, my original intent was to run you atmo 72.4 until i heard this and figured i might as well do both, but maybe ill just go with a 72.4 atmo and keep the stock vgt for now

The stock VGT will limit total possible performance gains but not hurt power compared to stock.

Stroked777

Reaction score
We have had a balancing issue on some of our SSX's that we didn't actually figure out until today. It has been a hit or miss scenario but I understand where you are coming from.

is that just because its a brand new turbo? i would love to run the 72mm turbo only if having the stock vgt doesnt hurt performance much