Built Motor

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Big cubic inch Motors or decent size bore go hand and hand with low end lug power. Always wanted to see a low end rpm range competition among diesel trucks.

I think cummins would take it. One dynoed at Fall Brawl last weekend. It maxed the dyno at 2500 ft lbs and they calculated it to be 3100+ ft lbs!!!

isootmypants

Reaction score
Knock on wood, I've been running over 600+ to the wheels fuel only for 25k. Cryoed forged balanced blue printed from Carson. Heads by Carson, stock cam. H-11s, crower vs, di pushrods, headers, srp1.1, swamps 300/200s s475 etc. I'm in it for around 20k. But that's including changes with injectors and turbos. If it was able to fully lite on the dyno, I could probably see around 670.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Knock on wood, I've been running over 600+ to the wheels fuel only for 25k. Cryoed forged balanced blue printed from Carson. Heads by Carson, stock cam. H-11s, crower vs, di pushrods, headers, srp1.1, swamps 300/200s s475 etc. I'm in it for around 20k. But that's including changes with injectors and turbos. If it was able to fully lite on the dyno, I could probably see around 670.

Just hope your rods can stand the abuse.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im surprised they havent blown the goat yet!!

I wouldnt.wanna go through.that much work and skip the rods.

dsberman94

Reaction score
its that moment when the motor alone is worth more than the rest of the truck when you know youve reached the point of total love with your truck.

isootmypants

Reaction score
Im surprised they havent blown the goat yet!!

I wouldnt.wanna go through.that much work and skip the rods.

It was originally a 250/100 s372 truck. Didn't have money for rods at the time. Wanted more power and put in 3/2s s475. Im planning on doing rods and girdle, half fill 400/400 gen3 then spray the balls out of it

TyCorr

Reaction score
It was originally a 250/100 s372 truck. Didn't have money for rods at the time. Wanted more power and put in 3/2s s475. Im planning on doing rods and girdle, half fill 400/400 gen3 then spray the balls out of it

I understand how you got to that point, i figured as much, but Im just really surprised man. Im not hoping they break on you or anything like that. Just genuinely surprised.

I still want to do a 300/300 hybrid and compounds but I have sorta decided id want that in a rclb truck. My 00 is sorta losing my interest as a mod-for-power truck. Its a ccsb on a lift. I just want it to be fairly hot, 500ish hp, and capable for towing. Im thinking a small hybrid. Hell, at 450 clean, Id be.happy.

rsieck

Reaction score
$20k to do a motor 5 years ago before the 6.4's came out, $20k to do a 7.3 now when you can buy a 6.4 for that now, and get at least a 5 year newer truck, and make 550hp with a tuner...

Trust me, I loved my 7.3, but throwing that much money into an old truck to make 5-600hp is stupid. I can understand if you're going all out for a drag/pulling truck, but for a DD.. no way..

littleredstroker

Reaction score
$20k to do a motor 5 years ago before the 6.4's came out, $20k to do a 7.3 now when you can buy a 6.4 for that now, and get at least a 5 year newer truck, and make 550hp with a tuner...

Trust me, I loved my 7.3, but throwing that much money into an old truck to make 5-600hp is stupid. I can understand if you're going all out for a drag/pulling truck, but for a DD.. no way..

Because no truck payment...

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

dsberman94

Reaction score
Because no truck payment...

Smoked a bit
Turbo lit
That was it

ok but i could get a 2010 6.4 loaded king ranch right down the road from me for $35K. if i had $20k saved up that was burning a hole in my pocket i would definitely trade my truck for the 6.4 and use that $20k towards it and probably owe less than 3k. if i was able to sell my truck privately and still had that 20k saved up i could probably come out on top and be able to buy atleast the exhaust for the 6.4. and still be able to make the same amount of power on just tunes before any engine or turbo upgrades. and i definitely wouldn't mind paying off $3k over 5+ years.

all in the way you look at it. newer truck with 100k-200k less miles and owe almost nothing. or keep your old truck with a lot of miles and probably a little beat up and very to quite rusty with saggy springs that you've sunk a lot of money into and they both make the same amount of power. the newer one deleted with a tuner and the old one an entirely built engine and trans. all depends on what you like but id personally go for the newer.

Last edited:

isootmypants

Reaction score
ok but i could get a 2010 6.4 loaded king ranch right down the road from me for $35K. if i had $20k saved up that was burning a hole in my pocket i would definitely trade my truck for the 6.4 and use that $20k towards it and probably owe less than 3k. if i was able to sell my truck privately and still had that 20k saved up i could probably come out on top and be able to buy atleast the exhaust for the 6.4. and still be able to make the same amount of power on just tunes before any engine or turbo upgrades. and i definitely wouldn't mind paying off $3k over 5+ years.

all in the way you look at it. newer truck with 100k-200k less miles and owe almost nothing. or keep your old truck with a lot of miles and probably a little beat up and very to quite rusty with saggy springs that you've sunk a lot of money into and they both make the same amount of power. the newer one deleted with a tuner and the old one an entirely built engine and trans. all depends on what you like but id personally go for the newer.

You may think that for you. Other people love their old rust bucket 7.3s so to speak. Some has sentimental value, first truck, brought home first born in it, had a life changing experience in it etc. some may like how easy it is to work on. How less likely to see a fast 7.3 around town. ANYONE can have a tuned 6.4. Sh!t your mother may own one with 550hp. But not everyone wants a me too truck. They're nice dont get me wrong , I'd like one. But not everyone wants to have a 6.4 with just tunes. People take pride and like to work on their trucks. Not everyone wants to build a 6.4 neither.

dsberman94

Reaction score
You may think that for you. Other people love their old rust bucket 7.3s so to speak. Some has sentimental value, first truck, brought home first born in it, had a life changing experience in it etc. some may like how easy it is to work on. How less likely to see a fast 7.3 around town. ANYONE can have a tuned 6.4. Sh!t your mother may own one with 550hp. But not everyone wants a me too truck. They're nice dont get me wrong , I'd like one. But not everyone wants to have a 6.4 with just tunes. People take pride and like to work on their trucks. Not everyone wants to build a 6.4 neither.

ill agree with you on that. the one thing i love about my truck is i can work on it. i can't even see the actual engine in my buddies 6.4. i wouldn't have a problem working on a 6.4 as long as theres some sort of video or writeup on it with pictures so i can see it dont. this is my first truck but i think id take something newer and nicer. thats also a good point about seeing a fast 7.3. only thing fast around here is cummins and duramax's usually newer ones of both. i love that face other people get when a 7.3 beats them or keeps up just because they didn't expect it. theres only a handful of people who know what it can do and its not even all that built. still a stock pmr. just noone is used to a 7.3 doing that.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Making a ccsb 4x4 truck fast is an oxymoron. It's always going to be slow no matter how fast it is. It'll only ever be "fast for a crew cab". I don't want to be fast for a crew cab. I want to be fast. That's why the ccsb is going back stock and the engine and trans is going in the new 2wd 4,000 lb race truck. Power don't mean **** if you weigh the same as a Panzer tank. Look at Dennis Schroeder. He has gone faster on a PMR motor than I have with a "fully built" motor. He also weighs half what I do.

You give me $12k to put into any truck that I choose, I'll give you a low 11 second 1/4 mile street monster 7.3 on a stock bottom end. Stock bottom will hold 600 for a really long time. Now you put that in a gutted 2wd rcsb with slicks that weighs 4000-4500 lbs and you have a fast truck on a budget.

You don't modify a 7.3 because it's fast or cheap. You modify a 7.3 because you love the 7.3. I own 2 6.0's and 2 7.3's. Some day I'll own either a Duramax or a 6.4. I may even buy the new diesel Chevy Colorado. I'll never trade my 7.3's off for one though.