Injectors

robmang25

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace injectors on a 1995 7.3 powerstroke? And does anyone have steps for me to follow?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Im no expert and my first time doing injectors was also my first time pulling the valve covers on my 7.3.

If you read the previously provided sources for instructions and are somewhat familiar with motors you should be fine.

Watch a youtube video as well, There are many out there showing how to remove the injectors.

Be patient. It took me about 4 hours to tear down and swap injectors out.

Arisley

Reaction score
The most important thing to remember, there will be all kinds of fluid on top of your pistons when you remove the injectors. It must come out before putting compression to the engine. Easiest way to do that is after installing injectors, with the glow plugs still removed, the 42 pin connector not connected. Put the valve covers on with a couple of bolts finger tight (this is to keep the underside of your hood clean) Hand bar the motor over through two complete revolutions. Then bump it over with the starter in short bursts for three or four revolutions. Replace the glow plugs, and do an oil change. Don't get in a hurry for it to fire back up, you have to purge all of the air out of the high pressure oil system. Don't crank on the starter for longer than 20 seconds at a time, let it cool off for a couple of minutes between cranking. Have the charger hooked up to keep the batteries charged. Once it starts, keep it running until it is running pretty smooth. Then do some hard launches to clean out the HPO system. Run up the rpm pretty good under a good heavy load.

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
I replaced mine and I'm no certified mechanic. Watch a couple videos, make sure you have the correct tools. If you have any questions ask away, plenty of good people here to help. One piece of advice I could give is take the oil plugs out of the head and add oil there, have hot batteries and make sure injectors are seated with a straight edge.