Updated Crush Washer Torque Spec

rockycreek

Reaction score
Been looking around and haven't found a definitive answer on this yet. There are 4 styles of crush washers from what I've seen. Copper crush washer, copper with viton insert, steel with viton insert, and composite with viton insert (latest style). The service manual calls for 18 lb-ft torque for viton crush washers and 28 for copper. I'm dealing with a fuel leak at either the supply or return line on top of the HPFP after reassembling the truck. I know it's common that the banjo fittings will get warped from the higher torque with factory style copper washers, but before I tear to0 far back into it, I want to make sure I am using the right torque spec for the composite/viton type washer. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks

Pan4905

Reaction score
Been looking around and haven't found a definitive answer on this yet. There are 4 styles of crush washers from what I've seen. Copper crush washer, copper with viton insert, steel with viton insert, and composite with viton insert (latest style). The service manual calls for 18 lb-ft torque for viton crush washers and 28 for copper. I'm dealing with a fuel leak at either the supply or return line on top of the HPFP after reassembling the truck. I know it's common that the banjo fittings will get warped from the higher torque with factory style copper washers, but before I tear to0 far back into it, I want to make sure I am using the right torque spec for the composite/viton type washer. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks

Can't help you with the torque spec but I had this exact same problem when I put mine back together. Copper with the rubber type insert was leaking at the top of the banjo on the return. I was able to get to it cab on. Major pain the ass and I had to mangled the heat shield all up but it was doable. I was in a pinch and needed the truck back on the road and didn't have time to lift the cab again. Ended up trying a regular crush washer with no insert and it still leaked. Put in a new copper with insert and sealed. No leaks so far in almost 5,000 miles since I finished.

rockycreek

Reaction score
Yep, I feel your pain. I don't have a lift up in my shop yet (laying on the floor waiting on this truck to get done). Just finishing up an engine pull/overhaul with the cab on. Would have drove the damn thing last night if it wasn't for the fuel leak. Pulling the turbos back off as we speak. From what I've seen searching around the forums, I think the fuel line(s) may have to be replaced, but I'm going to get another look and see if they are damaged. You can bet your ass I'll pressurize the fuel system before I put the turbos back on it.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I'd this a new crush washer you're using or trying to reuse one. It might be worth it to get another set. See if you can track down an older style or something.

rockycreek

Reaction score
Nah, they're new. Came in the kit with the updated HPFP cover gasket. All that the local Ford guys have are the newest style. I built the engine with a Mahle kit (plus OEM parts where it counts) that came with the copper/viton style which I used on every other fitting and none of them leaked. I may try torquing it down a little more to see if it will seal. Just want to make sure the "viton sealing washer" torque spec in the manual applies to the composite/viton ones and not just copper/viton.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Just a heads up we broke the threaded part on the hpfp trying to tighten it "just a little more". Don't go much past the torque spec. Also maybe call Ford and ask to speak to one of the diesel techs as they should know. Might also try just a new crush washer. Might be the case of it didn't go exactly perfect the first time and now it wont seal.

rockycreek

Reaction score
I didn't mean torque the piss out of it and see what happens, I meant go to 20-22 ft-lb instead of 18 and see. It didn't help though, was leaking even without much pressure on it.

I got it took apart. The feed line doesn't appear to be leaking, but the return line is pretty warped so I'm going to replace it and possibly the feed line, just to be safe.

rockycreek

Reaction score
Forgot to update... Replaced both feed and return line, used the new style composite/viton crush washer and torqued to 18 ft-lbs. Bout 1000 miles so far and no leaks.