Opinions

Jonathan

Reaction score
Looking at a new to me 2006 f350. This will be my second 6.0 and I have an idea of what I want to do with it but I'm not too sure.

http://www.barkauautomotive.com/veh...rew-cab-172-lariat-4wd-stockton-il-id-7605048

Thats the truck. It will be used for my construction business and personal use. I would say it will be on a trailer 50% of its time with me and less than 25% would require a 350. Will I be unhappy with the ride?

How do I go about getting an oasis? Local dealer doesn't want to cooperate.

What rear end will be in this?

I'm hoping to get them down to $23k, is that an unrealistic price?

It will get studs and gearhead tunes off the bat. I would also be doing an egr delete and updated oil tubes and stand pipes. Anything else I should hit while its apart.

Im excited to get back in a diesel!

Derkperk

Reaction score
Looks decent with good miles on it. I'd replace the stc fitting on the hpop along with the oil cooler if it was mine. The turbo oil feed and drain lines should be updated too if it hasn't been done.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

Jonathan

Reaction score
I figured I would. I'm having a hard time figuring out what rear end is in this thing. Where do I look for that. I really don't want a 4.10 ratio.

Jonathan

Reaction score
I knew it was a Dana 80. Does that only come with one ratio? I'd really like it to have a 3.73 ratio.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Any ford dealer can get you an oasis. My 289k mile 05 is on almost all factory parts, including TTY bolts and gaskets. It has some injector sticking but runs fine. I got an oasis for my from my local dealer.

w/ 70k miles that is nice but I'd be curious to know about the rest of the history. You might be able to track down the prior owner before you buy to get more info. On my last 2 trucks I was able to locate the prior owner and get info which helped me feel confident about the purchase.

I'd sure as h#ll get them a lot lower than 26, Id guess KBB is 18 or so. You can probably find 6.4's for that or even cheaper depending on your goals BUT I see them around here @ 18-23K all the time :shrug:

Good luck!

Jonathan

Reaction score
It had a NAPA value of 25 for clean retail
If I could find a low mile 6.4 for that price I'd be all over it. I'm probably going to pass on this one because it has a 4.10 rear end. I drive 40k miles a year and don't want to take the mileage hit.

Where are you guys find these low priced trucks? I look all the time and never find anything in this good of shape for much less.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I ended up giving 15,500 for my 06 with 108k miles. Short bed ex cab, single rear wheel tho.
I tried to beat the dealer down a little more by explaining id need to put 5k into it to make it reliable. The salesman was actually fairly knowledgable and told me that is one of the reasons it was priced low. Kinda hinting that it was blowing coolant when they took it in on trade.
I took a chance and ended up with a good running rig after deletes and all other basics most 6.0's need with just under 20k invested. So basically i paid book value after the work was done.

AnywAys
If your gonna pay book price then run it hard for 1/2 hour test drive and then check to see if its blowing coolant. If it is then you may be able to beat them down on price. If they dont come down at least 4k i wouldn't buy it.

6speedsd

Reaction score
And you paid too much! Lol. Dealers are making a killing on these trucks. They aren't offering but 10-13 on a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I paid $17,900 for my 2005 Lariat cclb srw with 143k on it. With that said, it literally came out of the Ford service dept with new hg's, head bolts, EGR, EGR valve, oil cooler, all the new gaskets and seals, not to mention oil change and fuel filters. This all carried a 2 year Ford warranty which was great. All in all, I believe the total bill was around $7k parts and labor. The deals are out there, you just have to keep looking and you'll find what you want/need

mandkole

Reaction score
When I was looking, I saw lots of low mileage 6.0s. (I almost pulled the trigger on a 06 CCSB srw with 105K, bulletproofed for $17K) Low mileage is good for the general condition, but most people dont trade in low mileage, cherry trucks for no reason. Either theres issues or they were afraid to keep going. To me, unless that dealer can fully document the well known typical repairs/upgrades for a 6.0, anything over $18-20K is too much. This thing could easily kill the headgaskets a month after you get it and it will be a $5K repair. You dont want to be in this truck after repairs more than $22-23K.

A free 4 year warranty would be a start. Then if it does go bad, you can get the repairs done right and at a shop that knows what they are doing.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
It had a NAPA value of 25 for clean retail
If I could find a low mile 6.4 for that price I'd be all over it. I'm probably going to pass on this one because it has a 4.10 rear end. I drive 40k miles a year and don't want to take the mileage hit.

Where are you guys find these low priced trucks? I look all the time and never find anything in this good of shape for much less.

Where are you looking?

If you are limiting yourself to your general area then you'll pay regional pricing at best. I drove 600+ miles for my last 7.3 last year and I drove almost 900 miles for my 05.

Another issue price wise is buying from a dealer. Unless you're getting some sort of warranty or stupid rock bottom prices, I buy from private parties when I can.

If you have the cash go private party. If you don't, then maybe save up until you do. You can likely save a ton of money and there is no guarantee the dealer will be any more honest. And considering the age of the 6.0 and now 6.4's you're hard pressed to find any sort of dealer warranty.

Be patient and good luck.

Jonathan

Reaction score
I'm looking mostly on autotrader. I also check craigslist and ebay regularly. Have cash, just want a low mileage loaded truck. Easier said than done... Gonna pass on the dually, don't want the 4.10 rear end. The hunt is back on!