Custom tunes, need experienced advice!

6.0bomber

Reaction score
Alright so i have been running innovatives tunes for the last 3 years. You guys wouldnt believe me if i told you how many trannys ive gone through with the setup below. I think im done with Innovative tunes for now its time to try something different. Gearhead, TSD, PHP? Who should i run? I want the best tunes that arent going to destroy my trans but at the same time not sacrifice any power. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

FORD7.3

Reaction score
Personally I love everything about PHP tuning, I have a 7.3 with a man pedal though. I have heard great things about Gearheads tuning as well as PHPs 6.0L Tuning. Id give both of those a shot.

06fx46.0

Reaction score
I just toasted mine with 116,000 miles. All stock except for innovative s tunes. I wasn't hard on it either. I'm going gear head after I get my Warren transmission.

bretferd

Reaction score
I have gearhead and tsd. Both are great. Is your transmission built? I see you have converter and input shaft but what about clutches?

6.0bomber

Reaction score
Sorry that hasnt been updated in a while. Stock shafts except for the input. Direct Drive Drum is machiened 50,000th of an inch to sneak in 8 GPZ Clutches, modified pump, deep pan, shift kit, all new STOCK solenoids, and of course the suncoast triple disc converter. I have so far wrecked three sets of Direct Drive clutches, THANKS INNOVATIVE!! :biggun:

Drewvdw

Reaction score
Have you contacted them about your issues? I imagine they could tweak your tune a bit to save your trans.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Ya I just toasted my stock trans running innovative tunes. Got a warren comp build tranny and went back to TSD tunes. SPD is my all time favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
A friend of mine quit running his 6.7 tunes as they slam shifted really bad, regardless of tune or trans option.

I had IDP in my 6.4 and trans tunes were solid but as time wore on, each up date that I paid money for, my tunes got worse and worse. I sent my livewire back 3 or 4 times the very last time and I finally gave up after never getting any resolution. I never got a reply back from eric even when I described the on going check engine light, poor power, etc..

I would have recommended him years ago but after my last tune revision and too much money in paying for "revisions" and shipping fee's both ways each time over almost a 4 month period in early 2013 I called it quits w/ idp tunes. I'm basically down for 4 months, close to $100 in shipping fee's and another several hundred for "revisions", sorry but never again.

I hear GH is very solid in the 6.0 platform and from what I understand tunes w/ the best DD in mind. I hear good things about TSD and vivian as well. Vivian is very easy to talk to and will answer questions directly and throughly if you call her.

Last edited:

05wh250

Reaction score
I liked idp tunes until I had them revised for my built trans. Never could get the idle right after that and I said the hell with it and drove it after 4 revisions of the same tune. So glad I went gear head for my new turbo.

swinky

Reaction score
My built trans felt like absolute crap with innovative tunes. 5th gear slipped, 3-5 flair, choppy idle. Got gearhead tunes and it fixed everything. It slipped baaaad in 5th with innovative tunes and now with gearhead srlxx full fuel this thing shifts perfect.

06fx46.0

Reaction score
I used the x-street, street and tow. Regular street the most, ran and shifted good I thought. Didn't like the 3-5 shift at first so he sent me revised tunes. Don't know if it was the tunes or not...

sootie

Reaction score
Gearhead and don't look back, linear power, smooth but crisp shifts and good fuel economy.

6.0bomber

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but what tune from innovative are yall running that's smoking your trans?

I wrecked 2 on x street now running xtreme x and in actually seems like it shift better on that but it still slips in 3rd gear when im hardly on it and seems like it holds when I mash on it.

Anyone that his ran TSD's SPD tune how does it shift??? firm shifts is good but does it seem too aggressive on the trans??

Also I contacted Eric @ innovative when I had the trans built and his response to me was I can change my shift pressures on my tuner, that's all I need to adjust. I tried +15% no difference. im up to +25% and still not how it should be. When I talked to him it was almost like he didn't have time to deal with me and if that's the service im going to receive from them then F that, I don't need to deal with a company like that. I know he can change things on the tune that I cannot see on my x3 tuner. Definitely time for a change. Thank you all for the input, keep it coming!!:popcorn:

little luke

Reaction score
I haven't bought tunes in 2 years I guess. My x street would make the truck try to buck forward while setting in drive holding the break. Ive used my extreme x for DD and towing for 30k miles and no issue besides popping my head gaskets..... Which I still need to fix.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I ran Innovative tunes for almost 5000 miles, loaded a Gearhead tune and blew the Directs the next day. Full suncoast trans.

That's funny because I've tuned some of Dallas Penn's personal trucks and he loved the shifting every time. I think you just had some bad luck or your direct clutches were already on their way out and the learning was different between mine and what you were running... I can't stress the importance of letting the trans learn on these things especially if you are switching between tuners. I spent a bunch of time to get the trans pressures right.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
That's funny because I've tuned some of Dallas Penn's personal trucks and he loved the shifting every time. I think you just had some bad luck or your direct clutches were already on their way out and the learning was different between mine and what you were running... I can't stress the importance of letting the trans learn on these things especially if you are switching between tuners. I spent a bunch of time to get the trans pressures right.
And you did a fantastic job on mine. I seriously thought my 5,000 dollar trans was done for before I loaded one of your tunes. Trans only has 4k miles on it and the fluid is black. That 4k miles was running xtreme X.