Custom tunes, need experienced advice!

turbie

Reaction score
I couldn't be happier w/ my gearhead tunes! customer service is the best in the business, matt and lars are badasses!

deiter5262, I'm still running an sct x2 lol

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I was running the x-race at the time. Just loaded up the SPD yesterday and love it. Shifts are firman and quick. Chris said he turned off most of the adaptive learning so it should shift pretty consistent from here on out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0bomber

Reaction score
Wish i could try them all!! Still up in the air about whos tune is next to try. Ive heard Alot of good things about SPD and also Matts tunes. Anybody running Vivians tunes? Input?

swinky

Reaction score
Wish i could try them all!! Still up in the air about whos tune is next to try. Ive heard Alot of good things about SPD and also Matts tunes. Anybody running Vivians tunes? Input?
Her track tune is fast. Looney is a decent Dailey driver file.

Bushwood_6.0

Reaction score
I ran innovative extreme x for 2 years of daily driving and beating the crap out of my suncoast at the track. 1st year was mid 12s and driving almost everyday. year 2 was 725hp on fuel with some daily driving and a lot if track time. And about 10 passes at just over 800 with no problems shifted good on street and track. Sold the truck but still holdin strong as of now. But he beats the piss out of it all the time now so who knows how long it will last. But have heard great things from gearhead also, never personally ran them tho.

6.0bomber

Reaction score
Alright, ive made up my mind, solely because i havnt heard anything about TSD's SPD tune destroying anything im gonna give it a try. Now begs the question do i want regular, 5th, 3rd or both lockup. Any input on this?

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Good choice. I've tried both in the past, but this last time around I just stuck with the regular lockup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04 f350

Reaction score
I would give Drew at back road performance a call and let him set you up with a tune. His tunes are by far the best I've ran on my truck.

bretferd

Reaction score
Get both lock up files. I think it's an extra $25 to get both. I myself like the lockup early. I like the feeling of when it locks in 3rd then give it some throttle and feel the power come on.

My Transmission didn't act right with back road performace tunes.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've been running Innovative since I first got my 6.0. His tunes have always been great. All of the tuners will tell you that every truck is different though and some find one guys tunes work better than others, but his buddy will have exact opposite findings.

I also think some people have some pretty unrealistic expectations of transmissions behind these trucks. Not saying anyone in here specifically, but generally speaking of this industry.

I am on my 3rd transmission. My first one was basically my own doing. I was an idiot and didn't realize that I was killing my transmission myself. It's a miracle it lasted through what it did. That also included some VERY temporary tuning of the old free spartan files, which were horrid. It also included some tuning from Vivian that was NEVER right and caused some ridiculous missed shifts (hitting 5k RPM because of a "false neutral) and slam shifts. In the end, the converter disintegrated (tech's words). A Ford reman was put in, and that thing was a piece of garbage from the beginning. It didn't make it a year with easy driving. Then that one was rebuilt completely and has been fine since. Still running Innovatives tuns, bone stock trans, 498rwhp and the truck now only sees hard driving or towing our 27' travel trailer.

I've tried at least three other tuners, and wouldn't use any of them over Eric's. I have NOT tried Matt's tunes though but would not hesitate to do so. Heard great things.

Just keep in mind, they are all different and everyone's expectations are different as well. What one guy thinks is smooth shifting, another sees as soft and not right.... etc.

04 f350

Reaction score
Get both lock up files. I think it's an extra $25 to get both. I myself like the lockup early. I like the feeling of when it locks in 3rd then give it some throttle and feel the power come on.

My Transmission didn't act right with back road performace tunes.

Well it's like MDub said some react differently than others, I'm not personally a fan of gearhead or innovatives tuning, to much hassle to get the tune how I wanted it. I was just giving the OP options that he can look into.

Reaction score
That's funny because I've tuned some of Dallas Penn's personal trucks and he loved the shifting every time. I think you just had some bad luck or your direct clutches were already on their way out and the learning was different between mine and what you were running... I can't stress the importance of letting the trans learn on these things especially if you are switching between tuners. I spent a bunch of time to get the trans pressures right.

Don't get me wrong I loved the shifting and everything else about the file. I'm thinking the few flares I had hurt the directs on the xtreme x file. I had maybe 3 full throttle pulls on it before the clutches gave it up on your file. Suck ran hard though. Now I just need to get time to fix it haha. I emailed Larz to ask if my file was setup for a modified direct solenoid or not, never heard back though.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Matt- what are you charging for a SCT Liveware w/ display heads up with your custom tunes? Do you have any used ones by chance

depends on the truck.. just call us up or order online. I don't have any used products at this time.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I loved the shifting and everything else about the file. I'm thinking the few flares I had hurt the directs on the xtreme x file. I had maybe 3 full throttle pulls on it before the clutches gave it up on your file. Suck ran hard though. Now I just need to get time to fix it haha. I emailed Larz to ask if my file was setup for a modified direct solenoid or not, never heard back though.

I would just give you the latest trans tune if you email me your old one to check against..

matt92idi

Reaction score
Alright, ive made up my mind, solely because i havnt heard anything about TSD's SPD tune destroying anything im gonna give it a try. Now begs the question do i want regular, 5th, 3rd or both lockup. Any input on this?

I'm daily driving the early Lock up and I love it. I never had any bad luck with my innovative tunes and I haven't had any issues with bad trans tuning from IDP but just wanted to try something different but it is a really nice DD tune

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.