Valley rubber line replacement

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
Hey guys had a question on my 97 f350 7.3. Noticed while re installing the intake/turbo y pipe that my fuel lines from the fuel bowl to the fuel pump were in bad shape. They look to be the originals and are cracked pretty bad. I don't see any leaks yet but I want to fix them before they become a problem. I ordered the 4 new lines from dieselorings.com. My question is is there any trick to replacing these lines? They look straightforward and I assume you drain the fuel bowl first before removing any lines. Can they all be changed with the fuel bowl left in place or does it need to be unbolted to fit the new rubber lines in?

rusty1161

Reaction score
When I replaced mine before going to an electric fuel system, I pulled the fuel bowl out. I would also buy the rebuild kit from Diesel O-rings and change all of the o-rings while yu have it out.

Rusty

Reaction score
My method: I take the bowl out, clean it (and reseal if desired). Install the hose connecting the tank supply to pump. Install the bowl to pump hoses on the bowl (I clamp them, especially the lower one). I install the black return hose on the line back to the tank (not clamped and shoved far enough down the line to get it "out of the way"). Then I hook up the drain hose on the front of the bowl. Then it is just a matter of shoving the bowl/hoses on the pump barbs (don't forget the clamps!). Then push the return hose back up on to the regulator barb. Cheers!

old man dave

Reaction score
My method: I take the bowl out, clean it (and reseal if desired). Install the hose connecting the tank supply to pump. Install the bowl to pump hoses on the bowl (I clamp them, especially the lower one). I install the black return hose on the line back to the tank (not clamped and shoved far enough down the line to get it "out of the way"). Then I hook up the drain hose on the front of the bowl. Then it is just a matter of shoving the bowl/hoses on the pump barbs (don't forget the clamps!). Then push the return hose back up on to the regulator barb. Cheers!

Glad I don't have a fuel bowl anymore...LOL

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
Went out and looked at my fuel bowl to compare with the lines that I got in the mail. Everything looks good except I accidentally bought the 94-95 bypass hose and my truck is a 97 so I dont have this hose I believe. My question is there is a hose at the very front of the fuel bowl near the hpop that I dont think was available to buy at dieselorings.com. the bypass hose seems to be a little longer than this hose so can I cut that hose and use it on the front of the fuel bowl? Just asking because I have never worked with this blue hose before and not sure if it can be just cut with a razorblade and still work properly.

Reaction score
You are correct in that you don't have that hose (your's has a hard line up into the bottom of the regulator). You can cut it with a razor, but I don't think I would use it on anything other than the bowl drain-to-line hose (if it even fit, it should be 5/16" hose), which is the one you were referring to. The drain hose and the "black return hose" are the same item at Diesel O-Rings. Cheers!

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
I think I know which one you mean, the really short black hose to the right andnthe rear of the fuel bowl right? If thats the one you mean I have that one, ordered it from diesel orings. The one im trying to describe is a black hose at the front of the motor that goes to the front of the fuel bowl. Now that I think about it since it is a black hose also its probably a different size and the blue wouldnt work anyway. This hose is probably fine, looks to be in much better shape than the others so I can leave it until it gets bad. I can get some of the fuel injection rated hose later and change that one out.

Reaction score
Yes, the black one at the front is the drain hose. What I was saying is if you want to change that one and also change the little black piece of return hose, you order 2 of the Diesel O-Rings little black hoses since they are the same. If the blue bypass hose you ordered is the right size, you could cut it and use that for the drain (or just get some 5/16" diesel rated fuel injection hose). Cheers!

97powerstrokecclb

Reaction score
Yes, the black one at the front is the drain hose. What I was saying is if you want to change that one and also change the little black piece of return hose, you order 2 of the Diesel O-Rings little black hoses since they are the same. If the blue bypass hose you ordered is the right size, you could cut it and use that for the drain (or just get some 5/16" diesel rated fuel injection hose). Cheers!
Ok I get what you mean, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: