Glow plug relay

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I replaced my glow plug relay back on thanksgiving and about a week later it started acting funny. Works every morning when I go to start the truck, but after the truck warms up and I go run errands or something I go to start the truck and the glow plug relay doesn't work, if I let the truck sit again for 2-3 hours it'll work again. Checked all connections going to the glow plug relay and everything is tight. Anyone experience this problem? I got the glow plug relay from advanced auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncollins64

Reaction score
Not saying this is your problem but when I use to buy relays from parts stores they wouldn't last long at all. Now all i use is motorcraft or stancor relays. Try jumping the posts to see if that works?

Bugman

Reaction score
What are you doing to determine if the relay is working or not? Are you watching your volt gauge or for the wait to start light?

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
Not saying this is your problem but when I use to buy relays from parts stores they wouldn't last long at all. Now all i use is motorcraft or stancor relays. Try jumping the posts to see if that works?

If I jump it it works

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
What are you doing to determine if the relay is working or not? Are you watching your volt gauge or for the wait to start light?

I listen for it to click and also looking at the voltage gauge

Bugman

Reaction score
You need to test it with a meter and see if you have the correct voltages and a ground when it is needed

Advanced Auto has a very bad reputation when it comes to glow plug relays. For quite a while they were selling starter relays for glow plug relays.

1995f2507.3

Reaction score
I'll test it when I get spare time and even sometimes when I leave it for a few hours and the 10° weather cooling it down quick the relay still won't work

Bugman

Reaction score
The engine block will stay warm enough that the relay won't activate even in winter. It all depends on how long you leave it sitting.