Supercharged 6.0 project "Road Rager"

Wayne

Reaction score
I've been working on this project truck for a while now. I gave it the nickname 'road rager' because I think it fits for the combo of mods the owner has for it. Here it is:

IMG_20150801_182531279.jpg

The owner wanted what most guys want: big power, aggressive sound, instant throttle response, an be able to tow anything he wants as fast as he wants. This is my approach to it.

I realize this is far from the first power stroke to have a supercharger, but some of the approach here is fairly new in this application. Generally speaking, what's in the works is fairly simple. F2 ProCharger driven off of a 2" cog belt feeding into a Precision 76 mm turbo. After I finish building the piping, and do some pressure testing, I could very well need to regear the blower for optimum pressure to the turbo as the main goal with it is maximum throttle response, not additional power. The owner is not planning on setting any power records, but he does have a decent sized trailer he plans on dragging around occasionally.

So the last configuration on the truck was compound turbos. There were a few things about the previous setup that didn't really work. Among those "flaws" was the lack of an aggressive exhaust note despite the 4" straight pipe. I bet at least half of you 6.0 fans are like the owner and I, having fallen in love with the sound of a straight piped 6.0 with hot engine programming. Among other things, the truck was way too quiet, and unassumingly sounding when he had compounds on it, so off they went. We kept the larger of the two turbos, and added a 5" straight pipe. We're hoping for obnoxious noises now.:naughty:

The truck had really low compression when I got it, so I also built a new engine as well as the air and fuel upgrades. There's a handful of vendors here that have contributed parts to the build, so when I put together a list of some of the details, I'll be sure to give a shout out to the suppliers. With any luck, the truck is close enough to done now that we hope to be doing some test driving by the end of this month.

IMG_20150328_153726746_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150418_142620656_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150819_230121757_1_.jpg

imelmo

Reaction score
Supercharging a diesel? That's stupid!

LOL I'll be curious to see how it works out with an F2. I had an F1C on mine and there was a night and day difference between it and the smaller D1SC according to Tyler. He had the D1SC on his and also drove mine.

I definitely want to setup another one that way once someone gets it a little more refined. Absolute blast to drive and a super tow beast. I think you're right on the money too about it not really adding power, just makes for instant response and very, very low egt's.

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Looks good, I always hoped more people would have went this route. Glad to see it's not dead.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I have thought about going this route more than once, just for a fun everyday driver.

Just not enough information out there on them to really make me comfortable investing the coin.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Supercharging a diesel? That's stupid!

LOL I'll be curious to see how it works out with an F2. I had an F1C on mine and there was a night and day difference between it and the smaller D1SC according to Tyler. He had the D1SC on his and also drove mine.

I definitely want to setup another one that way once someone gets it a little more refined. Absolute blast to drive and a super tow beast. I think you're right on the money too about it not really adding power, just makes for instant response and very, very low egt's.

Yeah that d1-sc was just too small.

And every thing Danny said I agree about the set up I had,

Wayne

Reaction score
I'll do a more detailed mod list one of these nights when I have more time, but here's some of it:

-Hypermax rods
-Midwest pistons .020" overbore ceramic coated, delipped, valve reliefs, and total seal rings
-Elite stage 2 cam
-side action HD lifters
-elite HD push rods & valve springs
-ceramic coated heads with o-irngs & mild hand porting
-H-11 head studs
-Elite flex plate
-ATI damper
-internally balanced
-RCD Thumper II HPOP
-Dieselsite HPODS
-RCD 300 cc conventional injectors
-z-max ported intake manifold
-RCD t-4 up pipe kit
-modified with equalizer tube & 66 mm precision wastegate
-Bulletproof HD water pump
-Elite remote oil cooler with dual thermostatically controlled fans & mechanical thermostat bypass
-Elite stage 2 fuel delivery (aeromotive A1000 marine pump, 5/8 fuel line, etc.
-Amsoil remote oil filter & bypass filter
-Elite stage 4 transmission
-Detroit full locker in rear
-******** tuning via SCT
I'll throw up more specs later, but that covers the majority of the engine stuff.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Glad to see you fixing Nathan's truck, should be pretty cool. I was sure the water inj. killed the ring seal in that thing.

Wayne

Reaction score
Yeah Tadd, Too much water acted as an abrasive, and when I got it, the motor you built had about 5000 miles on it, but judging by the cylinder bores, you'd guess 350,000 miles. Rod and main bearings still looked new though. When it fueled hard, the water was still a little heavy, but when injection pulse width was cut, it was just way too much water. That's why it had low compression. There was a significant ledge at top of all the bores. The custom FICM programming had wigged out, and most of the time, it had near stock power, but occassionally it really ripped like it was supposed to. It was never loud like he wanted though LOL Oh, well. Now it has standard FICM tuning so that can never be an issue again. He's still gonna keep his elaborate water injection setup, but wait until the engine's fully broken in, and even then, have a much more conservative spray volume.

JMart

Reaction score
In for results. I want to try something like this on my 6.0.

Wayne

Reaction score
Alright, so here's more info on what's been done to the truck. Aside from the list I put up already, it also has a 4.5" ICON lift with integrated OUO short gusset traction blocks with 3/4" u bolts from rcd as well as the ALA radius arms from OUO. We added airlift rear suspension assist bags that run off of manual valves and dual needle gauge inside the center console. Air is from twin viair compressors and and 8 gallon tank. The tank also supplies a Nathan K5LA air chime running off 3/4" air line. I know they make one size larger, but every time I hit the air horn I scare myself because I forget how loud the thing is. We threw on some amp research steps as well. All the elite stuff on the truck is from the previous build back at Elite several years ago. That's also where I originally installed the air horns and compressors, but had to relocate all that stuff to make room for the amp steps. As mentioned earlier, it's got a water methanol system exclusively used for water. We plan on cutting back the volume to a safer quantity. It's a snow performance MPG max kit with a custom 23 gallon thank that fits under the roll top bed cover. The bumpers are road armor. The front has PIAA fog and driving lights, the rear has rigid flood lights that come on with either an upfitter switch or by engaging reverse gear. The super charger kit still uses the factory engine cooling fan, but it now sits a little more forward to give the belt and pulleys plenty of room. I just couldn't see giving up the belt driven fan in favor of electric ones with the towing the owner plans on. Tires are 37" Mickey Thompsons, and wheels are 20x10 fuel couplers.

f2.jpg

IMG_20150506_232110327.jpg

IMG_20150506_204959939.jpg

IMG_20150708_132616574_HDR.jpg

Wayne

Reaction score
IMG_20150502_010337559.jpg

IMG_20150423_204900032.jpg

IMG_20150423_225607284_HDR.jpg

I've been instructed to put the dry rotted old tires on for break-in test driving. I sure love the look of the new ones, but at least this way it's no big deal to toast off the old ones pre-delivery. I just gotta save 2 of them for when Nathan comes to pick up the truck.

Last edited:

imelmo

Reaction score
Is the Procharger kit your own design or whose is it if not?