Possible Transmission or Parking Brake issues

Goose1995

Reaction score
Hey guys, needing some help with my new truck. I recently purchased a 2005 f350 srw 4x4. Everything was going good until I noticed a bad smell and smoke coming from the hood. I pulled over a popped the hood and seen that transmission fluid had gotten up on my passenger side up pipe. I then look under the truck and found a big spot of transmission fluid. The transmission cooler lines were covered in fluid and it seemed that most of the fluid was coming down the control arms. I left the truck for the night. Now it will take all gears but it will not roll in neutral which makes me think a stuck parking brake and when put in reverse you can feel the shift but nothing happens. Any ideas on what it could be, it is basically stranded on the side of the road and I have no idea where to begin.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
So it leaked a quart and it is still full? That doesn't make sense.

I don't understand what you mean by, "Now it will take all gears."

If it won't roll at all in neutral then I think the trans is toast. How a trans fluid leak could cause the parking brake to stick on is beyond my abilities to understand.

Goose1995

Reaction score
I mean it will take all forward gears, will pull and drive itself forward. It leaked a quart and according to the dipstick it was low but nothing alarming. Fluid level was still 3/4 or better on the dipstick. What I was saying was it felt like the parking brake was on when trying to pull or when sitting in neutral. I just don't understand how it can just go out. No symtoms, no hardshifts, hunting for gears, popping, or anything. Also checked the parking brake and it fully disengages.

Last edited:

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I've never seen a requirement that a transmission has to give a three day written notice to fail. It sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

I don't know what failed in yours, but it does sound like internal damage.

Goose1995

Reaction score
Well transmission is toast. I found two good transmissions and was wondering if they are any differences from year to year strength wise? 1st one is from an 2004 second one is from a 2006. Which would be a better route to take, either one will get a freshen up.

Goose1995

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew that. I thought I read somewhere that the 05 up were supposedly stronger than the 03 and 04s. Maybe I am completely wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

swinky

Reaction score
8 studs vs 6, better pan, pan filter and a little bit stronger low reverse hub is all I thought. I think the 6.4s were tuned better.
I'm just asking Mark cause I never thought it was a big difference

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I don't know the details because I left the 5R110 department just as it was starting, but they redesigned the gearset for 2008 for the added torque of the 6.4L.

swinky

Reaction score
Gears hardly ever had issues. It's the direct clutch all the tuned trucks have issues with. So that makes sense.