Need better brakes...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Sick of replacing brakes on this truck. At 50k miles I had to do all new calipers, pads and rotors up front. The calipers were sticking a bit, pads got so thin that one of the pads actually stuck between the rotor and caliper and locked the wheel up in a parking lot on me.

Then at ~70k, I had to do the rears. One of the rears, a piston had cracked on the caliper, and caused everything to stick again. Only did one caliper. Ended up doing the 2nd caliper at about 85k miles anyways...

Entire rear end of brakes was just re-done again at 95k miles, under warranty through NAPA. Not sure if it's just the junk Napa stuff I'm using or what, but now the front drivers side seems to be sticking again and the rotor is warped ever so slightly. I'm only at 102k now, this is absurd. I just don't think these rotors and pads are up to the task of my driving habits. SO... what is everyone using? Heard good things about Hawk pads, and EBC pads. Who's got the best deals on these? What about rotors? Any suggestions there?

I can't afford the SSBC calipers, otherwise I'd be all over them! Anyone else have issues cracking the pistons in the stock calipers? :cursing:

Snake

Reaction score
Mike, I bought a set of Powerslot cryo rotors and EBC Greenstuff pads right before my truck went into the shop. I still haven't had a chance to get them installed, but Cary from CT Performance crushed everyone else's price.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks Mike! I'm hoping a better rotor that will actually dissipate some heat will prevent my pistons from cracking so much. I don't get it. I have one of the lighter cab/bed configs with the supercab/short bed and only on 35's with a 17" wheel, not like I'm asking a lot here!

One question, why the green stuff over the yellow? I haven't really read into them much...

Snake

Reaction score
One word: dust. LOL

I had a hard time deciding between the yellow and the green, but had several people steer me towards the green. Supposedly they work just as well, last longer, and have less dust and noise compared to the yellow's.

Per the EBC site about the Green 7000 series: "For a small price premium over the 6000 series, these pads are THE ULTIMATE SUV/4x4 FRONT END PAD. They will stop faster and last longer with almost zero brake dust and are EBC's premium offering for heavy 4x4s. These pads are GUARANTEED noise free"

Last edited:

Agjake11

Reaction score
So snake better question is now Why not the Hawk Pads.

Cary quoted me the hawks and cryo rotors as his preferred setup and then what i requested as well what i requested which was the green stuff and sport rotors

fbilly420

Reaction score
I ran the ebc green pads for a while and they were by far the noisest pads i have ever had on my truck. Didnt really bother me but the wife hated it. They performed really well though.

Snake

Reaction score
So snake better question is now Why not the Hawk Pads.

Cary quoted me the hawks and cryo rotors as his preferred setup and then what i requested as well what i requested which was the green stuff and sport rotors

I have Hawk LTS pads on now (stock rotors) and didn't see much improvement over the stock pads they replaced. I don't dislike them, but I'm not in love with them either. Figured I'd give something else a try.

Smokyred

Reaction score
Keeping those caliper slides lubed is the biggest problem I always see on SD's. Brembo offers a really nice rotor for the front that doesn't warp, and is a lot meatier.

Dave

Snake

Reaction score
LOL I hope to have everything installed by the end of Memorial Day weekend. There's been so much other stuff going on with work and with my truck that it's been a low priority. But it's definitley working it's way back to the top of the list

Agjake11

Reaction score
i got a rotor that you can feel the high spot on when rotating the tire by hand so im ready for you to have them installed and compared haha

Zmann

Reaction score
I have 85k on the original front pads and the rears were only replaced because of oil contamination when I lost a seal ,,I also have about a thousand pounds of tools and boxes in the truck all the time ,, I find driving in tow haul saves braking effort a bunch

even though I run SLR tunes

Mdub707

Reaction score
Keeping those caliper slides lubed is the biggest problem I always see on SD's. Brembo offers a really nice rotor for the front that doesn't warp, and is a lot meatier.

Dave

My slides always seem to move just fine, it's the pistons cracking and then seizing in spot because they're all deformed that kills them. Took me a while to catch on to that. I went to lube my rear slides and realized a piston was cracked.

I have 85k on the original front pads and the rears were only replaced because of oil contamination when I lost a seal ,,I also have about a thousand pounds of tools and boxes in the truck all the time ,, I find driving in tow haul saves braking effort a bunch

even though I run SLR tunes

Come drive around in our snow/salt and see what happens! haha

100k on the Hawk Pads and 160k on the factory rotors. :D

Shut up.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I only got 30-35k out of the hawk lts's. Ran one side down so far it eat into my cryoed powerslots.. What's the best lube to use on the pins?

Synthetic disc.brake.grease. You can get a tub but brakes are dirty and youd have more.goddamned dirt in there after the first brakejob so I just buy the shti at the counter when I need it. Works good, hombre!

@the op, I got.100k out.of.my stock brakes. Got 100 out of my second set too. Third set were from oreillys. Lasted about 25k. Got new stuff. 20k. Did em last fall with some.motorcraft brakes, rotors, calipers, and one unit.bearing. 1200 dollars and twenty thousand miles. Still.good. Over half the pad left. Maybe more.