Need better brakes...

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking it might be time to bite the bullet and go OEM, as much as it would hurt.

I would really like to be able to STOP hard though, gonna see if I can get some prices of the cryo rotors and pads though. I'll let you guys know what direction I go. Probably just do the fronts for now, since the rears are all new on mine.

Zmann

Reaction score
MadDiesel73;322399.. What's the best lube to use on the pins?[/QUOTE said:
they sell the pin lube separately at most parts stores in those little foil packs

with the other stuff like anti seize /spark plug boot dielectric etc

see right side pic

2490.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yeah^. Thats what I did. Grabbed a small tube of permatex(its.blue) synthetic disc brake.lube. On the back it starts.to list all the appropriate places to use it and.then it.just says "use on all brake.connections" So I did. It.claims to.also.eliminate galvanic.corrosion such as that found when an aluminum wheel "welds" itself to a steel.rotor hat. My brakes are definitely quiet. Did wheel.bearing at the same time. I literally hear nothing.when I let off.the accelerator in my LS.

YoungMT Hick

Reaction score
Mike I just did thr rears with power slots and hawk lts pads. Just ordered the fronts to get then done before I leave. Go to auto anything they have 15% off and free shipping to new customers. (i.e. new ip addresses) little under$580 for both.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Cary (OBSWIZ) @ CT Performance quoted me a decent price on Powerslots and Hawk pads. You guys should hit him up.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I plan on trying Cary again... sent him a PM a while back about some other parts and never heard back though. We'll see...

Thanks Kenny. I'll check them out too if I don't hear back from Cary, I'm sure he's a busy guy.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I put the cryo slotted rotors and hawk pads all the way around my '04 after my factory brakes gave up the ghost. I didn't get a year out of them and they were warped like crazy. I tried getting them warrantied and was basically told to go scratch as there were too many variables that could have caused it. I had almost $800 into them. I ended up going to Ford and getting front rotors and pads and they held up great. I had a lot less in to them with a decent warranty. Take it for what its worth, but I wasted a lot of money on them and want to save someone else the money.

Chris

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I probably have over 1000 miles on them now....well worth the money. I know they aren't cheap...but if ya wanna stop ya wanna stop.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Call SSBC

I would hate to see what a couple NY winters would do to those calipers... For the cost of them, I'm not willing to be the guinea pig on that one. I could just replace the calipers on my truck now once a year and still be ahead for a long time.

What do the SSBC rotors run though? I wonder how their rotors compare to the cryo's from power slot?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I would hate to see what a couple NY winters would do to those calipers... For the cost of them, I'm not willing to be the guinea pig on that one. I could just replace the calipers on my truck now once a year and still be ahead for a long time.

Powdercoated calipers usually stand up well. Just look at cars with factory powdercoated calipers.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I thought they were anodized aluminum? Though after looking at the pic again, they definitely look more like a powdered part.

Usually cars that are fancy enough to have powdered calipers, are not cars that are driven during our winters either... haha

Last edited:

91turbogsx

Reaction score
You can get them clear anodized. That's the cheapest option. Or you can get black or red powdercoat.

And as far as cars with powdercoated calipers, I see plenty of Evo's or STI's out in the winter.

PDT1081

Reaction score

What do the SSBC rotors run though? I wonder how their rotors compare to the cryo's from power slot?

Old thread, but has anybody looked at the calipers from an International 4200 truck? Truck I'm currently driving for work is an 06, rated at 31,000 lbs, with disc brakes. Calipers are massive compared to the ones on my truck.

Snake

Reaction score
** UPDATE **

Finally got the Powerslots and EBC Greenstuff pads installed and all I can say is WOW! I have less than 200 miles on them and they're still bedding in, but it's a huge difference from stock rotors and Hawk LTS pads.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Bringing this one up from the grave... I have a rear caliper hanging up on mine. I can smell brakes when I park the truck after a long drive. I'm going to pull it apart and lube the pins hopefully.

Mike, how are your brakes holding up? I still never did anything with mine. I think I replaced one caliper and pads that needed it and haven't really driven the truck much. My TDI gets all the miles now.

I still want to put something on, for towing the camper in the summer though.

jdc753

Reaction score
Sucks to hear about your brake life. I had to do fronts/rears before 70k on mine, but now at 175k I got all the parts for set #3. Run of the mill Wagner pads/rotors from the local parts house. Slide pins have always been an issue though, rear is frozen again and the dust shield for the parking brakes has rotates clean through.

I kinda wish I remembered the hawks and EBC stuff when I got these parts but maybe next time.

Latest posts

Members online