whos done their own bedliner? what you use and how did you do it?

speedracer1000

Reaction score
i just put a turnover ball in my truck and i wanna get rid of my stock plastic bedliner in place of something better. i want something thats gonna be tough and not chip or peel or anything, i was looking at that duplicolor bed armor stuff, just wondering what other guys are using and how they are applying it and how its holding up for them.

fine69

Reaction score
I have Line-X in my truck, I've never seen any of the DIY liners that were worth a damn, they look like Sh!t and dont hold up very well.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
I used al's liner on my rocker panels and first 8 inches on the bottom of doors and box and it can't really hold up to that so i can't even imajine putting it in the box! I'm looking also for a more durable liner that I can color match red to my truck.

Zmann

Reaction score
You should see the prep the real liner shops do
I don't think you want to save a nickle to spend a dime on this process

yeehaw

Reaction score
someone bought a truck to me with the duplicolor roll on stuff, so i put it on, it looked like flat black paint when i was done not rough at all. My truck is line-x, totally worth the coin!!

DIE5EL

Reaction score
I think the prep is most important. I think a lot of people kinda skimp out on that. Id say I'd you get a good quality bed liner and prep your bed perfect, I don't see why it wouldn't last. Ive watched some DIY videos with the guy Havin some actually store bought " spray on type" liner. Like with a spray gun, not a rattle can. It looked very nice

Sent from my ifone

Cowboy Troy

Reaction score
Look up Raptor Liner. I sprayed my entire 86 Suburban with it about 5 years ago and its still holding up really good and it gets driven through the brush all the time at the ranch. I also sprayed a diesel tank on a ranch truck with it about 9 months ago and it still looks new.

fine69

Reaction score
I watched in horror as two Line-X guys armed with grinders climbed into the bed of my 3 day old truck to prep it! They went to town with wire wheels until they covered every square inch of my bed. Also, make sure you take the bed bolts out or else they will be in forever if you coat over them.

DIE5EL

Reaction score
It may be common sense to some but a lot of people half a$$ the important stuff and get honked off when it's done and looks like poop. I'm guilty at times lol. Most things will look as good as the effort you put into it.

Sent from my ifone

strokethis_06

Reaction score
Look up Raptor Liner. I sprayed my entire 86 Suburban with it about 5 years ago and its still holding up really good and it gets driven through the brush all the time at the ranch. I also sprayed a diesel tank on a ranch truck with it about 9 months ago and it still looks new.

X2 that. I used raptor liner in my 79 truck bed. I went extreme on the prep work. Looks great. Havent really tested the durability yet.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I watched in horror as two Line-X guys armed with grinders climbed into the bed of my 3 day old truck to prep it! They went to town with wire wheels until they covered every square inch of my bed. Also, make sure you take the bed bolts out or else they will be in forever if you coat over them.

It's actually easier than you think. Got mine out with a Razor blade and a pry bar. Cut around the head of the bolt, loosen it (if you can, if not torch it or grind them off), get the pry bar underneath the head of the bolt, pry up. The bed liner will actually stretch around the washer and it will pop it right up. Did this on 3 beds now.

Cowboy Troy

Reaction score
Yeah spraying the liner is easy its the prep work that is a pain! But the better you prep it the longer it will last. I used 80grit sand paper so scuff up the paint and then used brake cleaner and wiped it down with rags. I sprayed the liner on with the air regulated at around 45-50 psi (the higher the psi the smoother it will turn out) For a truck bed id probably spray it at 40-45 psi. They sell it on ebay and other online stores but i pick it up at a local auto paint shop.

speedracer1000

Reaction score
id honestly like to try a diy liner just to see how it turns out. im ok with doin the prep work. id probably roll it on. im just curious about the quality and durability of those diy liners. like to hear from the guys that have tried em and actually did a decent prep job how they like em and how they turned out

KPSquared

Reaction score
I have used Raptor Liner and another one I can't remember from local auto supply house. Prep is the key. Oh, and make sure you prep, and don't forget to prep.

Use a decent quality product and you will get a good result.

If you're to lazy to spend a lot of hours sanding, grinding, and cleaning, don't bother and pay Linex.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online