So What Do I Need to Check on This Thing Now?

imelmo

Reaction score
This truck is becoming tiring. :doh:

I had some Elite 205/100's put in along with a Hellmann intercooler.

Previous mods on the truck are a billet wheeled Powermax, Innovative tunes, ITP regulated return, Absolute ported manifold, No Limit intercooler piping, AFE intake, 4" straight pipe.

Before installing the injectors and intercooler, egt's at 80mph were about 850*-900*. Boost cruising at that speed was about 8-10psi. Other than tip-in the truck was almost completely smoke free. At wot in top gear it is smokeless. Max boost was 31psi.

Now after installing the injectors and intercooler, egt's at that same speed are 1000*, sometimes more. Boost cruising at that speed is only about 4psi. It is very smokey at any speed, even when trying to take it easy. Max boost still shows 31psi.

I've been told the max boost reading could be wrong as I'm using my Edge CTS for that and it may max out at 31psi.

But what about the smoke, egt's, and cruising boost?

It acts like a boost leak but I can't find any signs of one anywhere. I expected it to be a little smokey but not like it is now. And I definitely didn't expect the high egt's. I've had Hellmann intercoolers on all my trucks and they've always dropped my egt's by 150*-200* unloaded. If it wasn't for the Hellmann intercooler I probably wouldn't be able to drive the thing. :p

So what all do I need to start checking besides possible boost leaks?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Danny, pressure test the system to see if there is a boost leak. It should be easy to find iT at that point, and use soapy water on any joints, a pinhole may not be heard but the soapy water will tell all. Is the tuning adjusted for the larger nozzles yet?

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
i guess I'll ask the obvious....have you talked to your tuner? did you have it adjusted for the 205's (PW changed?) 205's and 100 nozzles is a lot of fuel for a pmax....

Last edited:

imelmo

Reaction score
Danny, pressure test the system to see if there is a boost leak. It should be easy to find iT at that point, and use soapy water on any joints, a pinhole may not be heard but the soapy water will tell all.

Steve is gonna send me his pressure tester to check it out.

Is the tuning adjusted for the larger nozzles yet?

What injectors were in it before? New tune for the new sticks?

i guess I'll ask the obvious....have you talked to your tuner? did you have it adjusted for the 205's (PW changed?) 205's and 100 nozzles is a lot of fuel for a pmax....

Not yet. I sent an email to Eric but he's on vacation or just got back from vacation, so I'll have to wait 'til next week for a tune.

Did you check your ICP?

Not yet. I'm going to check it this afternoon when I have more time to drive around.

Another clue to what could be going on, I get in the truck this morning and it's idling just fine, at about 500-600rpm. Also, the smoke is MUCH better than what it was yesterday. As I drove more the smoke seemed to be getting a little thicker though and when I got back to the shop and put it in park, the idle was up at 900rpm again.

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
Not yet. I sent an email to Eric but he's on vacation or just got back from vacation, so I'll have to wait 'til next week for a tune.

I would think that's your biggest problem. It's fueling way to hard down low. Have you tried it with stock tuning?

DHFF

Reaction score
I bet Eric can clear that up pretty painlessly sounds like tuning to me. I'd expect that from ANY change in injector size when going larger.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
man I wouldn't mess with anything until you get a new tune. since Eric is out give Matt a shout he can shoot you something.

Snake

Reaction score
Pressure drop across the intercooler

Results in loss of boost, higher EGT's, more smoke, etc

Last edited:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Definitely play with the tune before you do anything at all. No reason to jack around with it until tuning is correct.
It's amazing how terrible an incorrect tune will make a truck run.

Snake

Reaction score
Remember all those folks putting huge intake elbows on their trucks and losing boost? Same concept. Your turbo is putting 25 psi into the intercooler but you're only getting 20 psi out (completely made up those numbers, but you get the point).

To test, you could either install the OEM intercooler and monitor things. Or install boost gauges on the input and output sides of the intercooler.

Last edited:

imelmo

Reaction score
Remember all those folks putting huge intake elbows on their trucks and losing boost? Same concept. Your turbo is putting 25 psi into the intercooler but you're only getting 20 psi out (completely made up those numbers, but you get the point).

To test, you could either install the OEM intercooler and monitor things. Or install boost gauges on the input and output sides of the intercooler.

Yes, I know boost drops some (if injectors are the same), but egt's don't go up. I was expecting them to be the same as before at the most between the injectors and intercooler, certainly not go up 100+ degrees.

So if a tune clears up the egt/smoke issue, what about the idle? Could that have something to do with a tune also? I don't really see how.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online