So What Do I Need to Check on This Thing Now?

FallenAuthority

Reaction score
Yes, I know boost drops some (if injectors are the same), but egt's don't go up. I was expecting them to be the same as before between the injectors and intercooler, certainly not go up 100+ degrees.

So if a tune clears up the egt/smoke issue, what about the idle? Could that have something to do with a tune also? I don't really see how.

Lets make you think a little bit on this idle scenario here.
What does adding fuel do? Increase rpm. What did you do when you installed larger injectors without adjusting tune? Added more fuel at idle. Thus increasing idle speed.

Snake

Reaction score
I remember hearing the same thing about the CTS maxing out at 31 psi. What if you were over 31 psi before the injectors / intercooler and you're still over 31 psi now? Let's say you lost 6 psi across the board (basing this on the difference in boost you're seeing at cruising speeds now)......is it possible you had 37-38 psi of boost before the injectors and intercooler and now you only have 31-32 psi? You'll read 31 psi in both scenarios if our assumptions about the CTS are correct.

If you're dropping ~ 5 psi of boost, why wouldn't EGT's go up?
Unless I'm missing something?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Smoke screen keeps getting thicker?

There is an issue i have with intercoolers, your charger isnt flowing enough cfm. You get pressure drop because it has more volume to fill and you can end up losing efficiency. But i doubt thats the problem. Get matt, tony or chris to send you a file to see if it helps. These have 8 hole 100% nozzles danny?

imelmo

Reaction score
dude...get a damn tune before worrying about anything else LOL.

I pm'd Matt. Waiting to hear back.

I remember hearing the same thing about the CTS maxing out at 31 psi. What if you were over 31 psi before the injectors / intercooler and you're still over 31 psi now? Let's say you lost 6 psi across the board (basing this on the difference in boost you're seeing at cruising speeds now)......is it possible you had 37-38 psi of boost before the injectors and intercooler and now you only have 31-32 psi? You'll read 31 psi in both scenarios if our assumptions about the CTS are correct.

If you're dropping ~ 5 psi of boost, why wouldn't EGT's go up?
Unless I'm missing something?

Because you have the same volume of air going in, just with less restriction (boost). And because the air going in now is being cooled a lot more than with a stock cooler. That's the main reason behind getting an aftermarket intercooler.

Smoke screen keeps getting thicker?

There is an issue i have with intercoolers, your charger isnt flowing enough cfm. You get pressure drop because it has more volume to fill and you can end up losing efficiency. But i doubt thats the problem. Get matt, tony or chris to send you a file to see if it helps. These have 8 hole 100% nozzles danny?

Not sure what hole but they're supposed to be 100%. It was great this morning after I first cranked it up and drove it around a little. Just seems to be gradually getting back to the way it was yesterday and the idle has gone back up.

Snake

Reaction score
Danny - thanks for the explanation. Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
The decrease in boost should actually yield lower EGT's, my reasoning behind this based off the assumption that the mass flow rate of air is still the same. The less pressurized the intake charge is the cooler it should be, thus lowering the EGT, this is of course based on the mass flow being the same before and after intercooler install.

My personal opinion is the same as Lance, get a tune revision and go from there.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Load the stock tune and report back. Sorry of im ignorant on the details but, is this an 03/04 truck or 04.5+?

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Remember all those folks putting huge intake elbows on their trucks and losing boost? Same concept. Your turbo is putting 25 psi into the intercooler but you're only getting 20 psi out (completely made up those numbers, but you get the point).

To test, you could either install the OEM intercooler and monitor things. Or install boost gauges on the input and output sides of the intercooler.

why would there be a larger pressure drop with an intercooler that flows more air? there is less restriction therefore there should be less pressure drop. your overall boost is measure between the intercooler and heads, the restriction between those two points did not change so you shouldn't be seeing a loss in boost as you would with an intake elbow. pressure between the turbo and intercooler should be down though. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Garrett

imelmo

Reaction score
Load the stock tune and report back. Sorry of im ignorant on the details but, is this an 03/04 truck or 04.5+?

why would there be a larger pressure drop with an intercooler that flows more air? there is less restriction therefore there should be less pressure drop. your overall boost is measure between the intercooler and heads, the restriction between those two points did not change so you shouldn't be seeing a loss in boost as you would with an intake elbow. pressure between the turbo and intercooler should be down though. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Garrett

There's always a small drop in boost going to a better flowing intercooler due to less restriction (when injectors and everything else remains the same). Every one I've put on is usually about a 2-3psi drop.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Im going to say check icp then, some 03 pumps i know couldn't maintain with 175/30s on a race file. Food for thought, low icp = smoke show under heavier throttle

imelmo

Reaction score
Im going to say check icp then, some 03 pumps i know couldn't maintain with 175/30s on a race file. Food for thought, low icp = smoke show under heavier throttle

I thought that might be it too, but I hammered it for a brief bit and it stayed at 4.7V-4.8V. I didn't get to stay in it very long though as I was coming up on some traffic on the track. :lookaround:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Icp seems okay, but usually it will spike and then trail off, thats what mine did. Need to really make a full run to tell. Load the stock file and see how the smoke is. You really need proper tuning for those nozzles my man!

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
your ICP may still be fine but if your PW isn't tuned to match ICP properly, you will still be dumping too much fuel into the cylinder.....i.e. increased EGT's. that's why you have to have your tune tweaked for your nozzles.

scparrish

Reaction score
a new tune should fix the egts the high idle I would imagine is caused by plugged spill ports in the injectors unless elite builds their injectors a different way

dohcter

Reaction score
Swap the PCM with a 04.5. I had a 03 that exhibited the same idle problems you had. Never figured out why, tried tunes from Eric and Chris, also tried a roll back from bill at php, without really any change, went to a 04.5 computer and the problem went away. Also the truck doesn't have a ficm tune it as well does it?

imelmo

Reaction score
Got a tune in it from Matt and while it does drive very well it still has a somewhat heavy haze at highway speeds, higher egt's than it should have, and a high idle in park.

Garrett says his was doing the same thing before and it ended up being bad injectors. I'll get TSD to have 'em checked out when I send the truck over there, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.