Batt light coming on

DocBar

Reaction score
My battery light came on this morning and would flicker on and off as I would accelerate or slow down. I pulled over, checked the battery voltage and it was 13.97vdc. The alt. was showing 14.07. I figure that's within the margin of error. The alt was replaced 2 weeks ago after the old one took a dump and almost left me stranded in the middle of west Texas. I had no choice but Autozone. My fuses are good and so are the fusible links
I was outside of Bowling Green, Ky. when the light 1st came on and it stayed off til I was outside of Columbus, Oh. It flickered off and on, would stay on for a few minutes and go off. I'm outside of Wheeling, WVa. now and it didn't come back on.
Any ideas or suggestions?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Usually the light on under accelartion is a weak alternator. What are you doing in Wheeling, WV? Dont know which way your headed, but if you get close to Elkins, WV or that area I could help you out. Thats pretty close to my shop.

444 ci

Reaction score
i would lay money on a bum alt mine did the same thing and i replaced it with one from napa no more prob.

444getsitdone

Reaction score
it did the same thing on our truck and is was a bum alt, it would work then it would not work every few mins it would change, this time get a good alt, not to long ago we got a "cheaper one" and thats the one that was bummed only lasted one year the one before it lasted for 9 years, so get a good one!

oh and btw I like your avatar!

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Check the Big wire coming off the alternator. It has a tendency to break. Sometimes before it breaks, it will give the exact signals that you are getting. Sometimes the factory heat shrink will physically hold it together and it will get a connection sometimes and not at others.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Mine just started doing the same thing, i just put the alternator on about 2-3 weeks ago. Seems like its charging perfectly fine, but it still flickers

bruce

Reaction score
My flickered for a while and finally the alt took a dump when I was ridin some loggin roads early in the mornin. Check the pigtail though

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

screagle07

Reaction score
If the alt is bad, check the batteries right away too. I had an alternator burn out because I had one bad battery. I replaced both batteries and the alternator at the same time and no more problems after that.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
On mine it has 2 new batteries and one new alternator, along with a new starter. Nothing should be causing the battery light to come on ever

DocBar

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Sorry I haven't replied. I just started a new job and I've been working my butt off.

johnday

Reaction score
Barton City Michigan, under a rock or log, where t
Well, my light flickers as well, just started doing it today. Thing is, I can watch the needle on the halfassed gauge climb, batt light comes on, then needle drops, and light goes out.
New alternator 6k ago, along with both batts.
In days of yore, I'd just replace the voltage regulator, where is it on these? Part of the alternator? Or do I have to get another alternator, or something else?:shrug:

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes, the voltage regulator is inside the alternator. You can source them, and replace them. Good luck finding one though.

johnday

Reaction score
Barton City Michigan, under a rock or log, where t
Yes, the voltage regulator is inside the alternator. You can source them, and replace them. Good luck finding one though.

Oh :wtf:, it's only money. Right? Likely cheaper and less hassle just replacing the whole thing. Gotta love how things are meant to make money for the manufacturer, remember the days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Arisley

Reaction score
I remember popping the top off of old school voltage regulators and filing the contacts on them. Just to keep it working for a little while longer.